The Planted Tank Forum banner

Centerpiece fish suggestions

3973 Views 26 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  fshfanatic
I have a 90 gallon planted tank that I'd like a few colorful centerpiece fish for. Currently, my fauna collection consists mostly of algae/detritus cleanup crew type fish. Here's the current list:
10 otocinclus
1 SAE
3 cory cats
2 Giant Danios
1 peacock eel (the only "cool" fish so far)

As you can see, I'm pretty lightly stocked at the moment. I used to have a larger community, but the "Great Windstorm of '07" killed off most of my fish. Any ideas for neat additions to this tank?
The specs for the tank are in my sig.
Thanks for any help!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Maybe ditch the giant danios and get a nice school of rasborras or tetras. Most single "centerpeice" fish I can think of are going to be predatory.
How about a small group of discus?
Blacksunshine--
Do I have to ditch the danios to get the rasboras? They aren't particularly predatory fish, are they? And will rasboras be safe from my eel friend, who is currently only eating brine shrimp/bloodworms but may someday grow large enough to find smaller shrimp tasty.
Crazie.eddie--
Aren't discus sort of "special needs" fish? Perhaps I should have put "not complicated to take care of" as one of my requirements for my centerpiece fish (singular or plural, I really was thinking of more than one fish, but that's hard to convey at times)
A school of Boesmani Rainbowfish.:icon_cool Some marble angels would be sweet too.
Blacksunshine--
Do I have to ditch the danios to get the rasboras? They aren't particularly predatory fish, are they? And will rasboras be safe from my eel friend, who is currently only eating brine shrimp/bloodworms but may someday grow large enough to find smaller shrimp tasty.
Crazie.eddie--
Aren't discus sort of "special needs" fish? Perhaps I should have put "not complicated to take care of" as one of my requirements for my centerpiece fish (singular or plural, I really was thinking of more than one fish, but that's hard to convey at times)
dunno. my leopard danios are a little aggressive and chase my red glowfish all the time. I don't know if giants would be as well. But they may harass small tetras and danios and have the size to do damage.
Unless the eel catches them sleeping and decides to have a snack you should be ok. but it is likely as the eel gets some size it will become an issue with any smaller fish.

I just thought of another fish that would be real good looking. some Blue Neon Rainbows.
how cool would a school of these look ehh?
See less See more
Oooh, those are awesome! They just went to the top of my list. Are they easily acquired?
Discus aren't really special need fish. I pay no more/less attention to my discus. Though juvenile discus do need allot of feeding to make sure they grow to be a nice healthy size. Of course, any juvenile fish will require the same type of care.
I love my big angels!!
dwarf neon rainbows wont be any more eye cathing than neon tetra...they arnt really very bright blue
clddleopard, try doing an Advanced Search, Titles only, for the
word Centerpiece, and you'll find dozens of threads on this topic.

in the past many endorsed getting pearl gouramis.
while they are beautiful and plant safe, their size
and temperament may not work well with lot's of
smaller fish around. they don't injure anything
but they can get a bit territorial and inactive.
Angels are pretty predatory, but if you get them as small juvies, it may work. I have recently been looking at Apistogrammas. There are a lot of very pretty looking ones, but they aren't really all that big, so that might not be what you're looking for.

See less See more
^ I can't get your links to work. It wants me to save the files, and then my computer can't read the files.
go to cichlidforum.com and click profiles

find apistogramma

browse through the photos, because there are so many I couldn't possibly post all of them.
I have a pair of pearl gouramis, they are beautiful and peaceful, 3 dwarf neon rainbows that are gorgeous with a subtle blue tinge and those bright red fins, but my 4 big congos steal the scene. Very active, beautiful fish, I'd go with those.
Although I have never had any if you are considering congo tetras, you may also want to consider columbian tetras. I plan on getting a large school when I set up my larger tank.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Hyphessobrycon_columbianus.php

They look very nice and grow to a similar size as the congo tetra, I have also found they are quite available in my area.
Oooh, those are awesome! They just went to the top of my list. Are they easily acquired?
yeah most the stores around here carry them. I know that Blue serria in Issaquah usually has them for around 5.99 ea

Fish Gallery in Renton also might have them. But last time i was in there they had gone downhill big time. So who knows what shape that store is in these days. I guess it has a new owner.

Dennys in kirkland Doesn't have any. I was just there today. And even if they did they would most likely cost 2X as much.
Aw, it looks like you're not looking for angels, which is a shame 'cause I kind of need a home for a single large (huge) black zebra standard fin angel male who either needs a girlfriend or needs to be in a tank with no other angelfish.

And you're in Washington.

and your tank is huge and he'd love it.

He MIGHT do ok with other angels the same size as him, but he's bad for baby angelfish.

Doesn't seem to bother any other fish, though.

But I named him "Beautiful King A--Hole" for a reason.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.