The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m starting to think about wrapping up fish stocking for my planted community tank, I currently have 6 corydoryas palateus I might get 2 more, 7 rainbow fish, 4 bosemani 2 Australia’s 1 turquoise 6 furcata psudomugil 12 hyphessobrycon bentosi variants 2 Pearl gourami a bn pleco 4 sae and a half banded spiny eel. Here’s a pic of the tank if it helps, it’s going to have a lily in the middle, and a bolbitis heterocilata and Java fern on the right

I was thinking maybe a couple rare pleco to breed a krib pair a school of batik loaches and maybe a pair of angelfish to round it out and maybe 3 more rainbows (a turquoise female then a pair of high quality ones)

I was thinking maybe a couple rare pleco to breed a krib pair a school of batik loaches (3) and maybe a pair of angelfish to round it out and maybe 3 more rainbows (a turquoise female then a pair of high quality ones)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
With that many bottom feeders your eel is going to have a really rough time. Eels require parameters that are very different from those conducive of pleco breeding, not to mention an eel will eat any fry that are produced in your tank. They require very pristine and stable water as well and with how stocked you already are I think it would be potentially too much for your set up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With that many bottom feeders your eel is going to have a really rough time. Eels require parameters that are very different from those conducive of pleco breeding, not to mention an eel will eat any fry that are produced in your tank. They require very pristine and stable water as well and with how stocked you already are I think it would be potentially too much for your set up.
I used to have the same number of fish but I moved my pencilfish and keyhole Chiclids to a new tank and it was completely fine, i have never had nitrates above 20 and I used to not do water changes for weeks and weeks

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
That's amazing. I've kept tire track and fire eels and they were super sensitive. I had to do water changes every morning after feeding at night or they'd go into hiding. Never could keep any small fish with them either because they'd pick a night and decide to hunt down all of them lol. Had them for 10 years, my son took them with him when he moved out 3 years ago. I can't help but stick up for them, I've got a soft spot lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
half banded spiny eels are the exact opposite they get like 6” and live in super muddy water spiny eels are really cool and I wish I could make a biotope for them, I was thinking of trying to make a breeding group and keep em with dario or pea puffers. They couldn’t even eat a neon tetra. Mine’s name is Brian

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I’m starting to think about wrapping up fish stocking for my planted community tank, I currently have 6 corydoryas palateus I might get 2 more, 7 rainbow fish, 4 bosemani 2 Australia’s 1 turquoise 6 furcata psudomugil 12 hyphessobrycon bentosi variants 2 Pearl gourami a bn pleco 4 sae and a half banded spiny eel. Here’s a pic of the tank if it helps, it’s going to have a lily in the middle, and a bolbitis heterocilata and Java fern on the right
You are already stocked to the hilt. When those four SAE's ( 5 to 6 inches at adulthood) get to be full grown in your tank you will see what I mean. They dont stay at the bottom of the tank, but roam all over so not technically a bottom zone fish. Id get rid of all of them if I were you. Tank is too small and they can bully other fish when not given enough room.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i Have never seen them bully fish, my lfs I volunteer at has a 40 breeder with 4 and they are 6” and they just school around. The only problem I could see is like they would scare a chocolate gourami or some super shy fish. But they are peaceful and playful and I got them for that reason, I don’t have algae issues as of now but they are just supposed to be a oddball fish.

to clarif, I got them because I wanted a fish that looked like a native sucker or a darter but was tropical. And you are thinking of flying fox most likely. I feed them Blackbeard algae balls I grow in a compost tank

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Spiny eels get to be around 8 inches in captivity and should generally be kept by themselves in an aquarium the size you're describing. I do still think you are more overstocked than you think. I'd say make the eel your centerpiece, but I'm a little biased lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the fish aren’t fighting, the tank isn’t overcrowded, the bioload is in check the tank can’t be considered overstocked. If you had 100 neons all doing happy dentrification a good filter they arent stressed it’s okay right?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
You've obviously got your mind made up, i just don't think there's too many people that would even be able to try to suggest a centerpiece fish considering the stock list you already have. I'd still suggest making the eel you already have the centerpiece.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.