The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 30g gallon stocked with 10 Neon Tetras, 5 Rummy Nose, 20 Ghost Shrimp tank is doing really well all paras are good...I was on another forum and some say I should have a Center piece fish..really I have never thought about it ...Anyone have any suggestions?...Any help is appreciated!

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the help...Right now all the tetras are swimming together which is fun to watch.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yea, I think a lot of people forget that a school of fish like neons is sometimes a better 'center piece' than one big fish.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have a 30g gallon stocked with 10 Neon Tetras, 5 Rummy Nose, 20 Ghost Shrimp tank is doing really well all paras are good...I was on another forum and some say I should have a Center piece fish..really I have never thought about it ...Anyone have any suggestions?...Any help is appreciated!
It's kinda tough choices are vast really and you just have to decide what you are looking for on a personal level. My own favs for center of attention fish are the Blue Rams or a pair of them.

Some other fish to think about is a small school of corydorus cats like the panda cory or the Dwarf Cory. both have their own color contrasting that of the fish you have already.

Honey gourami's are very peacful but a bit timid as are the chocolate gourami's but both get along with all your fish in a planted tank. They do best with small schools of say 4-6 of one or the other.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was pretty sure I was going with M&F Pearl, but now you have me thinking again hehe

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was also thinking about the pearl as being a little tougher than the ghost shrimps might like. It might chase them around or even damage them for food.

Key word is MIGHT.

Doug

·
Registered
124 Posts
Lemme chime in here.

I would not recommend Pearls. Pretty much, I'd not recommend any of the Trichogaster genus for smaller fish. I've never had one that didn't end up being a bully.

However, for Gouramis, take a look at a good male specimen of "Indian Banded" or "Giant" gourami (Colisa fasciata). They're stunning and I've found them to be overall great community fish. The colors are as spectacular as a Paradise, they offer more punch than a dwarf (although closely related) and are better citizens than Pearls.

Just a suggestions.

Kev.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm....well not I am lost as what I should do ...mabye I will just get 5 more rummy and get me a Dojo then be done with it

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like community tanks...just adds to the fun figuring out which fish get along, its like a puzzle, the more you add the more complicated it gets, the less options you have....but I really like the diverse behaviors of the various species

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are chilids ...from what I read ..shrimp do mix to well due to them eating them?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I guess that you know that these are dwarf cichlids. Males are ~ 3½". I've had grown Amano shrimp with young A. cacatuoides 'Orange Flash' without problems, but you are right that they will eat smaller shrimp or just about anything that they can get in their mouth.

I really like the red color of the A. hongsloi II and I thought that they would complement the red colors of your neon and cardinal tetras.

Do any of your ghost shrimp have long front arms with claws? I had some ghost shrimp with these long arms one time that would catch and eat my rummy nose and cardinal tetras.

Do you think that they can see them? They are "ghost" shrimp.:biggrin:

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Apistogramma's come from many of the same parts of South America that many tetras come from. They both like warm, soft, acidic water that is low in nitrogen compounds.

Apistogramma hongsloi http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=275
Scientific Name: Apistogramma hongsloi
Geo. Origin: Lower Rio Vichada, Guaviare, & Meta (Colombia & Venezuela)
Habitat: Still or Slow-Moving Water with Root Tangles
Diet: Omnivore
Gender Differences: Dimorphic
Breeding: Cave Spawner
Temperament: Peaceful
Conspecific Temperament: Mildly Aggressive
Maximum Size: 3.5"
Temperature: 80°F
pH: < 7
Water Hardness: Soft
Difficulty: 3

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do any of your ghost shrimp have long front arms with claws? I had some ghost shrimp with these long arms one time that would catch and eat my rummy nose and cardinal tetras.
I had some of those as well long time ago...They got huge ...The LFS totally screw up on calling them "ghost shrimp"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.