The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought some sample food from VisionQuest28 and noticied an odd behavior with the 500-800 micron Golden Pearls. The females loved the Golden Pearls, and quickly ate it. However, the males would chew it up and then spit it out.

Here's where it gets interesting:

Received mine today. Very nice stuff, thanks!

Exact same situation here! Males spiting it out...

Btw, now I have a mini war going on between ottos and amanos for veggie sticks :D Amano's win of corse :D
So i just tested this out right now...and i think i have the same thing going on!?!? Its kind of hard to see, everything else in the tank seems to love it, i have between 30-35 fish in there eating like a pack of starved piranha's, so unless im really paying attention i dont know if i would have noticed this. But sure enough, i think the males are spitting it back out. The female CPD's eat it, and so does every other fish in the tank, but not the males. Whats up with that!??? Anybody have any ideas on why that might be?
I am curious enough to see if anyone else has noticed this behavior or if it is just a coincidence.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I assume that Golden Pearls is the same formula that Brine Shrimp Direct uses in one of their flake foods. I've had both in the past. GP's I was using mainly as an invertebrate food so who knows if anything was eating it. lol With their flake I know some fish I had took some time to start eating it once I changed to it. Then when I ran out some fish refused to eat for over a week with a LFS bought get by.

I think in a lot of cases they just have to get accustomed to any new food (hungry enough).

SteveU

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that in most cases, it is the fact they need to get accustomed. However, there were three other foods I purchased from Vision and I feed them a variety of foods from live to Spirulina algae. Each of these foods are eaten with gusto. Just the pearls are spit back out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
me too, i agree for the most part, BUT i feed a pretty large variety at this point, and always did really. Every other fish in the tank eats it except the male cpd's. and everything else i put, really i think i could throw dirt or pocket lint in there and atleast most of the fish would eat it. lol But thats three of us so far that are saying just their male CPD's wont eat the GP's. It has to be just coincidence, right??? I cant wrap my head around any other explanation than that, but even that almost seems like a stretch...

·
Registered
563 Posts
I guess it's just us, or no one else has observed this behavior. ;)
Maybe??? Im really curious about this, i want to know an answer! lol

So, the 1st 5 people that are currently keeping CPD's and would like to help get to the bottom of this...PM me and i will send you out a small sample of Golden Pearls for free so we can experiment...

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I have a few very young CPDs and it was hard to distinguish which were males and which females. Now, based on test with golden pearls, I'm 90+% sure ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just sent her a package too, but she didnt get any GP's. If she wants some to try id be more than happy to send her a little. So far nobody has taken me up on the offer....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I am tempted to contact funky fish and see if she wants to participate. I know he has cpds.
Haha I realised you guy talking about me LOL :tongue: Going a little loopy at this hour, very long day under the sun...

I didn't ordered the GP :( After reading the intresting CPD behavior for some reason I thought that one of the food I ordered was GP but no I ordered brine shrimp eggs ..... Wish I could contribute to the experiment ....

---- VisionQuest if you don't mind sending me some to contribute to the experiment I will gladly take some of GP :)

*Note to self* Read all posts before replying

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Cool Thank you :D
I'm excited to see if I will have same results as you guys :)
And today I tried feeding Copepods, BSE everyone loved it. Tomorrow's menu veggies sticks and daphnia...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey sorry if this is slightly off-topic but I was wondering where you all got your CPD's from? They are such beautiful fish; however, I would like to ensure that those I bought were bred in captivity.
Thanks in advance for your help and I hope the question of males refusing Golden Pearls is resolved!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hey sorry if this is slightly off-topic but I was wondering where you all got your CPD's from? They are such beautiful fish; however, I would like to ensure that those I bought were bred in captivity.
Thanks in advance for your help and I hope the question of males refusing Golden Pearls is resolved!
I got my CPD's at my local LFS, and they seem to always have them. But you can always ordem them from http://www.invertzfactory.com/stocklist.htm
I hear good things but haven't ordered from them myself yet.
And thanks :icon_smil

·
Registered
563 Posts
I got mine from a member on here, Ebichua, and im pretty sure they were captive bred. He was great to deal with, and the price was great. Im not sure if he has any now or not? I agree with Funky that invert factory would be a good place to look. You can also check aquabid, i see them for sale on there all the time too.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Funkyfish, please keep us updated. I am curious to see the results. Vision- my cat ate two of my packets of food! I came home and they were torn up to bits. I'll be ordering more soon. Hahaha.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Funkyfish, please keep us updated. I am curious to see the results. Vision- my cat ate two of my packets of food! I came home and they were torn up to bits. I'll be ordering more soon. Hahaha.
I will for sure :)
My 10g will turn into a CPD, RCS and snail tank. My cherry barbarians are just getting out of hand so I have to move them into my 14g which is my CPD breeding experiment so it will have to wait or I hope they will breed in the 10g.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts