The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

so I have a tank about 27gal, numerous Scarlet Badis, bumblebee gobies, some silver Kuhli and an Annandale loach, and some ember tetras and little exclamation point Rasboras. I also introduced 5 celestial pearl danios (2.3) about 7 months ago as babes. Now they are fat and big and have always/often done breeding displays/dances etc.. with a little dominate type behavior but mellow. just in the last few weeks, the dominant male has been on a tear and is really nippy at everyone, and I strangely recently lost a female danio and now have a second danio female that was acting a bit haggard and twitchy last night, and looks a bit pale. The female I lost a week ago developed (*after a lot of this chasing), a white spot on her side, then it got swollen some, and she began floating sideways etc .. This second female is now acting weaker and stressed.. and

This male cp danio will even take the occasional swipe at a badis.. just as he swims around whoever he bumps into. The tank is pretty heavily planted and I feel like fish can get their respective spaces but maybe he is creating too much stress? Or do I need more of them to even things out? Now at 2.2. He is still at it and Im considering removing him.. I just feel he's doing the 'active pursue " thing a bit too often. I would have thought of them as more timid but maybe not?

thank you

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You have some aggressive territorial fish in there, namely the Badis and Bumblebee gobies. If your tank is overcrowded, it's possible that territorial aggression coupled with mating aggression led to a small injury that became infected or stressed them to death.

I have a similar tank, heavily planted, and there is one dominant male who pursues everyone around the tank, even into heavily planted corners where he gets stuck. You get them normally, you just need to make sure they have enough room to stop chasing each other, or enough CPD females to spread the aggression thin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
idk, my badis aren't really territorial or aggressive at all, mildly during breeding drama but really nothing, even amongst the males (I only have one big dominant though now). The females have a pecking order but its only apparent on introduced fish, not young growing up it seems, and they all hang out together as often as not. The gobies are a bit feistier than I remembered from many many years ago but even they are quite mellow.. I think its too few danios is the mistake, too much fish diversity and not enough of that kind.

I have about 10ish badis but several are really young, so hard to say, about 13 exclamation point Rasboras, 5 gobies and 5 tetras, 3 silver loaches, 1 Annandale loach, and now only 3 danio. It sounds like a lot but often at a glance you see almost no fish, especially if it weren't for the gobies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.