The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran by Petsmart today and spotted something that had apparently hitch-hiked into their X-ray tetra tank somehow, as they don't seem to carry this species. It's a nice Celebes rainbowfish, about 2" long, and it seems to be healthy. I don't see any signs of illness, at least. It's currently in a mesh hatchery in one of my tanks, and don't worry, this tank is fairly new and hasn't had any disease in it (to my knowledge).
I've done a little bit of research, and I've decided that I can't care for this rainbow, at least not without buying a bunch more. Also, my heavily planted tank (which they need) is reserved for very small fish. This fellow, while beautiful, is far too large to go in there. My other freshwater tank is simply too sparsely planted to keep him happy.
Would you like him? He's free, though I'd greatly appreciate some Java moss/fern, some hornwort, a few low-grade neo shrimp, or some anubias in return.
You'll have to come pick him up in Georgetown, TX, as I don't think I can ship him. Post here if interested or if you want another picture. First come first serve, provided you can care for him. You need to know how to care for this fellow, and you need to have others for him to school with.
Note: I have no idea if it's a male or a female.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Mine never seems to have them.
No, they aren't. I did some research, and they aren't actually brackish fish, not technically. They can live in brackish water, but they really don't need it... They'll do fine in water that's just kind of hard.

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm... Now that I think about it, I just remembered that the LFS I go to for freshwater stuff keeps these guys in their slightly brackish display tank with the bumblebee gobies and empire gudgeons.
If nobody wants this one, I'll probably give it to them.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm certain at Petsmart they are not keeping them in brackish water since all tanks are connected to one main water system. So they must at least tolerate it? -I'd like to know for sure myself as I would love to potentially keep some but no where to put them right now.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My LFS says everything in that tank is something that can live in freshwater or brackish. They have the sale ones in freshwater most of the time, as their two brackish sale tanks are usually occupied with scats, monos, knight gobies, and puffers. I've found that they're usually quite knowledgeable about the things they sell, and if they don't know much about it it's probably a recent addition to the hobby.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts