The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may be (and more than likely is) a stupid question. Can CBS be black and clear instead of black and white. Is this just a really really low grade? Stopped at a LFS earlier today and in the CRS there were a few of these. I asked what they were and the person said..."the label says CRS so thats what we will sell them as" So I bought them all(they only had 4 @ 1.99 a piece :D). Anyway here is the pic (sorry for the low quality)

Its kinda hard to tell in the pic seeing as how the container I am using to acclimate them is white but there is no white in them only clear and black.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes and it's not usually considered a desirable trait. I typically cull the CRS from my group who don't have good coverage on the white sections.

But don't give up hope. Their color is much more transparent when they're stressed out, which is likely the case at a fish store. Also young shrimp like those appear to be don't have as good color coverage. Given a few weeks in a good tank they might start to show some good color.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about that..apparently this forum did not want to show a pic with a size of 5k*4k lol

Thats what I was afraid of..So I bought culls basically still for less than $2 I am not that worried

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Thats what I was afraid of..So I bought culls basically still for less than $2 I am not that worried
either way, good deal! They may color up. If not, they're still cool looking and the price was definitely right. I would definitely buy more if they get more. I tend to hoard fish and shrimp I like though. Lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think I will drive to that store again. We were on our way home from our honeymoon when I stopped (that and 3 other LFS that she allowed me to stop at lol). The store is about 5 hours from my house.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
They could also be princess bee's that are mislabeled. LFS's are bad for getting shrimp and putting a name to them, or the fish manager orders some princess bees thinking he'll have new stock to sell, low level fish room grunt person opens box, sees black and white shrimp, into the CBS tank they go.

They may also just be badly colored CBS or just CBS not kept in ideal water params. My LFS has a "Shrimp" tank that may at any given time have yellow and red neo's in it at the same time, crs, cbs, sunkist, green shrimp, whatever shrimp they get in, go into that tank. Obviously the param's aren't going to be ideal for everyone for the long run or breeding, but staying alive in there, they are ok for a while. My crystal male culls ended up in my 8pH community tank. They lost some color but lived out their lives in there fine, so it may just be a bad param thing, bad diet, bad coloring or they are a different shrimp.

Wild bee's also are black and mostly clear with no white, so they could be them too.

Give them a few weeks and let them molt and see how they color up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got a new pic, still a little stressed out..the black seems to be fading (atleast on the one largest on)as they calm down sadly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those are breviata, not cbs
Good deal, I trust your eyes on shrimp. Thanks for the ID. I guess I should look up some info on them now so I can keep them healthy

When I look up a lot of the bees it still shows some white. Is the clear just a sign of really low grade?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.