The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have been reading on people who bought A/C grade CRS then bred the red out and now have bright red CRS.. like a wine red.

I was wondering if you could do the same thing with CBS, (i want another shrimp tank) but in a few hours of long searches and much reading, I have not seen any low grade CBS, only S, no A or C. I think this would be a fun little project! and if it doesnt work out... i would propbably buy some SS and SSS CBS...

PM me if you have any ideas or low low grade CBS for sale (cheap) or any input that would be great!!

Thanks!:icon_smil

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You could breed in reverse. Buy higher, then breed for larger black coverage.
I'm fairly certain that that is the plan. I recently started trying to do much the same with bumblebee shrimp, just to get full black bumblebees. I had some substrate issues that wiped out 2-3 generations of shrimp though, so I haven't made much progress.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could breed in reverse. Buy higher, then breed for larger black coverage.
That is the plan, but I want to buy low grade shrimp with more black would make it way easier and cost effective.

I think it would be cool! If super reds are $25 I bet a super black could get some decent market!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I've seen some really low grade CBS, they have muddy looking black and spotty looking whites.

I am breeding my SSS+ CBS with some SS-SSS CBS trying to get a nice looking end product.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That is the plan, but I want to buy low grade shrimp with more black would make it way easier and cost effective.
The other humongously major benefit to starting with lower grade CBS is that their gene pool is much more diverse. If you were able to acquire lower grade CBS from several different sources you'd have a much greater chance of getting the type of variation that you're looking for. Higher grades aren't clonal populations by any stretch of the imagination, but they have almost no variation in their pigmentation genes. Just look at Kangshiang's recent thread about the culls from the breeding project he's doing. The variation among them is very small, and these are the ones that are too messy to keep (as far as pigment goes.)

You may run into the challenge of super black vs panda vs king king. The question then would be how to tell them apart. (?)
The quality of the coloration is pretty distinct between the two. You might have some unscrupulous people selling all black CBS as BKK, but most anyone who knows shrimp should be able to tell the difference relatively easily. If a black shrimp sufficiently well colored and glossy to pass as a BKK were bred, bravo. :)

I'm excited about my bumblebees because if I look at their exoskeletons closely I can see red, white, black, and blue dots making up their coloration. There is an awful lot of possibility in a color set of that type, given time and space to breed.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I still havnt been able to find "cheap" low quality CBS.

I agree with the genes. It makes sense. From a biology standpoint.

I was thinking what about a group breeding project?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I asked this question awhile ago. Didn't get much encouragement. I would love to see the outcome if you do work on this :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Speedie is selling 6 for $75. I wish I could grab 4, then get 4ish S CBS. This would be interesting.

Idea-what if this became a "group project"?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Could start with super low grade reds and introduce a black into the mix. lol. Black is the dominate gene, so RxB = black offspring in F1.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just ordered some A-S CBS (at $5 each). They shall hangout in my OEBT tank for a week. Then they get a spacious 20L...

I think in a few months ill buy a few Super Red Crystals...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts