CRS and CBS once a day. My question is, if
I keep them together, will there be any "real"
harm to them? As long as they build their
population up and are healthy, I'm fine with
that. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
If you don't mind the CRS and CBS interbreeding and eventually losing the selectively bred characteristics, then that's fine.

Without culling, your Fire reds will slowly lose their redness as well.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I thought there was no issue with CRS and CBS being together? Won't you just get a mix of CRS and CBS?
Yup will get mostly black between a R and B mating. Black is dominant, red is recessive, so if a R and B mate, the babies will be black and carry the red gene. Basic Mendel genetics will give 1 pure black, 2 black carriers of the red gene, 1 red, so for every CRS/CBS mix that mate, you will only get 1 red and eventually a good percentage of population will be CBS instead of CRS, although many of them will be red carriers.

A lot of CBS are mixed with reds now anyways, so they are already carriers in reality.

This all assumes they follow the .25, .5, .25 ratio of genetics, which sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

An odd time you will get the red becoming co-dominant, and produce a crystal brown shrimp, some of which actually look really nice, but seem not to be able to breed true as it seems it's a rare occasion and not linked to straight genes being passed on.

If no one every kept CRS, CBS and goldens together though, we wouldn't have Taiwan Bee's, so glad someone did it. lol. It was in a tank of mixed CRS, CBS and golden that the first TB's were spotted, and although there is no exact formula to make them, a few people around the world have gotten random TB's in their mixed tanks over the years. Whether they all got a shipment of shrimp that were considered the "mothershrimp" and as those shrimp spread, some people got the gene's expressed or it's a perfect random storm of a CBS bred to a CRS back to a CBS who is a red carrier to a golden to original CBS to a CRS that came from 2 CBS carriers to a snow white to ......... that made them, we don't know, but there was something about mixing the genes that gave us TB's.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I would like to put some male BKK in with my CRS/CBS to get some mischlings and see what pops up!!
They are only going to look like CRS/CBS, nothing special will pop up, especially for a while. You need to remove all your male CRS/CBS and keep only the females, then let the BKK males do their work, and either keep them in for a few generations, or remove the females after a few generations and let the babies breed together and back with the BKK males in order to get any real TB's or patterns out of it. Adding a few BKK's with other males in a tank really won't do much except maybe give you some lower grade looking mischlings, that unless they breed back with other TB's or mischlings, is just going to dilute the way they look and they recessive TB gene's in a few generations.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Breeding of f2's of mischling and taiwan bees that renders the best results no?
Ya, it takes a bit of work breeding and being good at selecting sexes, etc to get some of the new patterns and other to even get TB's back from mischlings. Just putting a few TB's in a heavily population crystal tank probably won't get you much. You need to follow generations and back breed and stuff to get some decent results out of it.

Of course you might get that nice looking 1-off shrimp but without tracking your breeding and who breed with who, you won't be able to reproduce it. Lots of neat 1-off shrimp out there, but getting them to breed true and knowing what made them, is something different.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ya, it takes a bit of work breeding and being good at selecting sexes, etc to get some of the new patterns and other to even get TB's back from mischlings. Just putting a few TB's in a heavily population crystal tank probably won't get you much. You need to follow generations and back breed and stuff to get some decent results out of it.

Of course you might get that nice looking 1-off shrimp but without tracking your breeding and who breed with who, you won't be able to reproduce it. Lots of neat 1-off shrimp out there, but getting them to breed true and knowing what made them, is something different.
Thank you so much GeToChKn for your great explanations of some of the genetics. I've been wondering and looking once in a while for this kind of info and haven't found much yet. I get a couple red wines here and there and have gotten one Tibee from a small population of CRS I have. Your explanations are easy to understand. Greatly appreciate your input. Perhaps you....or someone.... could start a thread about this topic? nudge nudge wink wink ;) Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.