The Planted Tank Forum banner

CBS/CRS babies are more shy?

628 7
Do you think the babies from CBS/CRS are more shy than the other neo shrimp? Because I am rarely see my CBS/CRS babies swim outside and play .. I think most of time they are hiding in the moss/wood or something .. hard to see them even I know there are should be at least some babies in tank .. no idea what's going on .. what do you think? sometime I thought they are died too.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I usually see mine not too long after they are born. Then, they seem to go into hiding for about a week or so, and as they get a bit older and braver, you'll see them out cruising around on the substrate. One trick that I do is wait for an hour or so after the lights have turned off for the night, and then shine a flashlight along the substrate or the glass side of the tank. If they are still very young and nervous about being out in the light, sometimes you'll see them being more active when the lights are out. After about 10-14 days, you should see them pretty regularly, and running out and about with the adults. There is no hard and fast rule, but this is generally what I see in my tanks. The more I just leave things alone and watch, the better off I am.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I keep checking few days from ChadO's trick, but I dont see any new born babies or even young juvi size babies from other first few batches. I now worry that they are all died or even make me want to tear down the tank to look for them. For the first few batches, they borned back in march 17th, 2014 so they should be grown by now and hang out with other adults, but I dont really see any of them. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
760 Posts
It could be anything from them hiding to possible water specs. Hard to say without more info.

I know I'm always convinced my small BKK are gone/missing then out of the blue they come out from hiding and this is in a 5g tank. So imagine how illusive shrimp can be in larger tanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would be hesitant to start moving stuff around to go looking for them. You will certainly stir up the substrate, and that might spike your parameters. You want to do the re-scaping, moving stuff around with care. You can surely do it, just want to do it with minimal impact.

For comparison, I had a batch of CBS babies that were born on May 17th, 2014, and this weekend, I have regularly seen the babies cruising around. I spent about 5 minutes last night focusing on the tank, and could count 8 of them either on the substrate, in the moss, etc. About a week ago, I also saw where a 2nd female hatched out her babies. There were a couple almost transparent shrimplets hanging out on the side of the glass. They have since gone into hiding in that tank, but I'll watch for them a bit more intently in another week or so. This current batch that I can see roaming around now, followed the same pattern. The day they were born, I saw a newborn, so I marked the day they were born, then didn't see them for about 10 days or so.

As for yours that were born back in March, I suspect they didn't make it. I don't know that I would aggressively go looking for them. They should be a decent size by now, and unless you are really, heavily planted, just casual observation on the tank for 5-10 minutes should have allowed you to see something.

You might consider boosting up your biofilm a little bit if you can. I haven't tried it yet (I have some on order) but the GlasGarten Bacter AE is supposed to be pretty good stuff. Those babies need some biofilm to get a good start. Even if you think you should have a good biofilm in the tank, it might not hurt to boost it a little bit. I say this because your other parameters you reported look pretty good. If that's the case, then biofilm is where I usually look next.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ChadO. In another scenario, the first 1-2 batches borned around March-April (dead some) already grown some and become young adult which I didn't notice and now they already join with the other adult in the tank while I just keep thinking that those are still small and keep look for small sizes lol. And, I still hope those new batch in mid-April - May might still small and still hiding.

I do agree with you ChadO, I don't want touch the tank or move stuffs from the tank, because this tank I haven't see a dead shrimp so I don't want mess it up. But, I might take out few plants or start to do the trim mosses out from this tank to make it more space and easier to keep track now on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.