The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could my water supply possibly be the culprit? I have a 29 and a 2.5 gal, both well established, med/high tech/light tanks, EI dosed w/ 50% WCs. I did change out the filter floss in the canister of the 29 a few days before, but touched nothing else in the filter, and nothing in the 2.5. The bloom came a couple days after a WC in the 29, and again w/ a WC on the 2.5 a couple days after that. Both were extremely aggressive blooms which sucked most of the O2 out of the tanks. Further WCs only helped for an hour or two. CRS all perished, as did all my M. Kubotai, and about 1/2 my RCS. Surprisingly my boraras micros, CPDs and otos all made it through. Still out $100-$200 in livestock. Oh well.

Only other cause I can think of is Excel. 2.5 is carpeted w/ fissidens, but was still healthy prior to the bloom, and the 29 has both fissidens and vals which still seem fine, so I don't believe I dealt w/ an ammonia spike from plant meltdown. I've been slowly building up plant tolerances by dosing in small increases, and for about 1.5 mos now. I should have tested, but was more concerned w/ the emergency WCs in between last minute Xmas shopping sprints.

I wonder about my water supply only b/c the blooms appeared 2 days after each tank's WC. Anyone have experience w/ this?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
All I can say is bacterial blooms usually occur when there is an excess of N in the water, most commonly ammonia. So, if I had to guess, I would say somehow there was an introduction of ammonia. It could be your water supply. That's not implausible.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an Eheim 2215, w/ bio rings, efisubstrat and a 2" thick sponge between them that take up 90% of the filter's capacity. The polishing floss goes on top of that and like I said was the only thing touched in the filter. No rinsing or WC of the filter at all. So I would assume it didn't have a drastic impact on the biofilter, and still wouldn't explain why the other tank had a bloom, when then only thing touched on that was about a 45% WC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.