The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was in the process of moving the worm cone and noticed that two of my threadfins were huddled under the breeder net.

As I crouched down to see what was going on, I saw the female release eggs! The male immediately turned around and ate two, but a few stuck to some plants and were still there when I came back from feeding my gudgeon fry.

I was wondering if anyone had experience raising threadfin fry and might have some tips? I know that they are SUPER tiny, and need super tiny foods, but right now I only have bbs...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After I witnessed my Threadfins spawning I moved a trio comprised of my best looking male and two nice looking females over to a separate 20H. I added two spawning mops and I've been checking regularly for eggs.

This morning I found some. I counted six on one mop, and 0 on the other but they were really hard to see so there could have been more than what I saw.

I have a 10 gal I'm setting up to served as a grow out and I'm planning on stopping at the glass shop to pick up supplies for a series of small rearing tanks. Though I'm considering a slight change to that after reading an article that suggested putting 2.5 gals in a half full 10 and being able to have multiple spawns in the same 10 while using the 10 to regulate temp.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have two threadfin fry, not the best setup, but i have them in a modded breeder box in the tank and I added green water 1-2x daily and they lived and grew. I tried golden pearls and flake in the coffee grinder still too big i think-they wouldn't touch it.

after 2 weeks I added some microworms which they seems to eat.
temp needs to be a bit higher, 80ish

ever since the two showed up I have a hard time keeping the eggs good. maybe from too much bacteria in the water from all the greenwater? IDK.
I added some oak leaves to the tank see if this will help.

Of course the green water slowly seeps out of the breeder box making the rest of the tank look nasty.

which makes my wife tell me to clean the tank....etc etc.

so the fry will have to fight for their place in the big tank.

hth

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Have you tried some of Auban's magic algae? He's had great success using it to raise very small fry, and other people have had a lot of success with it and other fish as well

·
Registered
926 Posts
Mine ignored the java moss today and instead spawned on duckweed roots. They seem to spawn higher up in the tank!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine ignored the java moss today and instead spawned on duckweed roots. They seem to spawn higher up in the tank!
Yep they seem to like to spawn at the top levels of the tank.. That's why I've got the mop.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you tried some of Auban's magic algae? He's had great success using it to raise very small fry, and other people have had a lot of success with it and other fish as well
No, never heard of it. A quick google brought nothing... :(

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 33 Posts