The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious, if you have a free standing open topped tank, have you ever found a cat in it? I'm moving soon and I'm planning on setting up an open topped 7.5 Gallon tank on its own stand (without any space for the cats to get on it) and I don't want to find one of them in it or the tank on the floor :hihi:

I saw the video of the cat doing aquascaping...that was hilarious :)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
replaced my used lighting last night. not b/c of the cat... but he started it. He attempted to use the wide t5ho fixture as a seat, the one leg was broken so it fell back behind the tank and thankfully not into it.

when i brought my 45g home for the time, first tank too, i filled it with the gravel and went out to dinner. came home to find him in the tank running back and forth trying to get out.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My grandmother doesn't have an open topped tank, but the filter flow is accessible. Her cat likes to drink the water from the tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My cats will freak and do some serious scratching if you hold them within give feet of any water, even an empty sink. Of course this rule doesn't apply in the case of aquariums. They'll happily drink from them and bat at the fish. >.<

·
Registered
696 Posts
When my cat was much younger, she used to jump onto a 72g bow I had set up, watch the fish, drink a little. She did this daily. I stopped it after that same tank sprung a leak, in the bottom seal, on the same corner she used to jump/sit/drink on. I blame her weight for the leak.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I've run open top from 20 gallon to 100 gallons and without something to perch on, my cat(s) never went near them. And I've had as many as 3 cats in the house.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
One of my cats drinks out of the tanks. I found her once just holding her paw in the water, with a swarm of fish nibbling it. No hostile moves at all. Wish I'd gotten video!

The other cat will chase my mouse pointer on the screen, but shows no interest in the tanks or inhabitants at all.

It all depends on the personality of your cats.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I gots no cat.

You guys like your cat more or your aquarium? :D

My buddy's pit bull puppy never noticed his tank once for the first 6 months of his life. One night, he took notice, plopped his big butt down (he's 70 lbs at 6 months) looked at the tank in wonder. As soon as he did that, one of friend's tropheus swam chaotically and plopped to the aquarium floor....except he wasn't sitting, he was dead.

My friend's puppy is no longer allowed to look at the tank.

True story, except the not allowed to look at the tank part. :) - it was quite weird. No clue how/why that tropheus died.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I found that if my cats run out of water, i don't need to worry.... One cat licks my filter media in my sump, the other one goes headfirst into the sump, hooking her hind legs on the edge of the tank so she can get back out.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Years ago I posted a question like this: Will my fish be ok as Blackberry fell in the tank? They said the fish would be fine but i'd probably need a new phone. Blackberry is one of my two persian cats. lol Didn't know if the cat hair or oils from their skin would hurt the fish? Was a good laugh though.

As we've seen from some of the posts it can be quite dangerous for cats and fish if the cat falls in the tank. If a cat falls in and cannot get out it can drown. Luckily you've all been able to rescue them in time.

In the beginning i'd be very watchful of your cats and even then you have no idea what the cats will do when your not at home. They may act like the tank is not interesting but you just never know. Cats are sneaky!

I had Blackberry fall in the tank and the hood and lights which were on fall in the tank. Luckily her and the lights ended up ok. Was so glad to take down that tank for the 50 gal which has a much much sturdier hood on it.

I recently set the 20 gal back up after a few years but not before cutting a piece of plexi glass to put under the hood to make it much more sturdy.

I love the look of the open tanks but it's not worth my cats life.

Mick my male cat I don't have to worry about as he's just not smart enough to get up there on the 55gal or any of the other tanks for that matter even though he's watched Blackberry do it for 3 years now. Blackberry doesn't bother the fish but just likes to play in the water though they/fish probably have a heart attack every time she gets up there.

Micks is a sweet cat but he's just not the brightest bulb in the hood! He wakes up to a new world everyday.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't run an open top tank in the same house with a cat. It's just not worth the risk of coming home / waking up to a drowned pet.

Now, I grew up with a lot of cats and a lot of fish tanks (my dad's). All our cats enjoy drinking tank water for some reason :hihi:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had an open topped 5.4 g bookshelf tank......until the day my cat was ramming around and jumped on the stand the tank was on and slide into the tank.....coming to a stop with his feet on the light.....which promptly fell into the tank while lit! Needless to say my light was toast..... Now my new fluval ebi has a glass lid to prevent this....plus the cat liked to drink the aquarium water......

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
We had a cat that just had to be on tp of a 29 I had. I didn't so much care, except I was worried he would tip it over, trash the bedroom floor, crack the glass and his [email protected]$$ would bleed to death while we were at work...and that would pretty much ruin the evening.

I was doing as major clean & re-scaping the rocks (munba tank), it was 1/2 full of water, fish in a 5gl. bucket (was also trying to catch fry). The goofy cat decides to lay on top of the tank...LOL....but there was no top. He hit that water and shot up to the ceiling.

He never when near that tank again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.