The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
LOL

You know that the USFDA has "tolerable levels" of things like rat hair and cockroach legs allowed to be found inside human food products too, such as Coke cans...? :confused1:

(Possibly shouldn't have gone there, but I just couldn't resist. :hihi:)

·
Registered
567 Posts
LOL

You know that the USFDA has "tolerable levels" of things like rat hair and cockroach legs allowed to be found inside human food products too, such as Coke cans...? :confused1:

(Possibly shouldn't have gone there, but I just couldn't resist. :hihi:)

It's absolutely true. My rabbi discovered that some cans of a brand name peanut butter were labeled as certified kosher and others were not...so he called the company to ask why...They said they have two factories, and one of them 'wasn't the cleanest factory' according to the customer service lady, and had a rat problem; sometimes they would fall into the equipment and get ground up into the peanut butter...it turns out that the non-kosher peanut butter had too much rat in it to pass kosher standards, but not enough to be a problem under governmental standards. Yum! lol...

Hahaha most good sized fish would probably gobble that caterpillar up along with the frozen food.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It's absolutely true. My rabbi discovered that some cans of a brand name peanut butter were labeled as certified kosher and others were not...so he called the company to ask why...They said they have two factories, and one of them 'wasn't the cleanest factory' according to the customer service lady, and had a rat problem; sometimes they would fall into the equipment and get ground up into the peanut butter...it turns out that the non-kosher peanut butter had too much rat in it to pass kosher standards, but not enough to be a problem under governmental standards. Yum! lol...

Hahaha most good sized fish would probably gobble that caterpillar up along with the frozen food.
Very good to know :)
I usually try to get more kosher foods, but now it will be only kosher :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The FDA allows all sorts of small amounts of icky things in our food. Did you know just about EVERY fast food burger in the USA has a small percentage of styrofoam in it? Yup. It's considered a "non-digestible filler". They use it to bulk the burgers up.

Tommy

·
Registered
84 Posts
^+1 I rinse everything except brine. Brine is just too mushy to really rinse & strain. I just deal with the "extras" that's putting in the tank. I use either RO or tank water.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Wow, whole bunch of urban legends in this thread.
The peanut butter was definitely not a legend. This information was from the company that made the peanut butter, and I was present during the phone call.

Very good to know :)
I usually try to get more kosher foods, but now it will be only kosher :)
Good call. It's generally held to a much higher standard than what the USDA holds. Look for the 'U in a circle' mark (Orthodox Union), it's the most trustworthy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.