The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a tank awhile ago designed around the needs of elephantnose fish, and emptied my 10g inabitants in to it, to let a colony of RCS get established in the tank. The only other fish in that 10g were some kuhli loaches. Anyway, fastforward and the tank is well established (so many shrimp its unreal) but I am second guessing the kuhli loaches being in there, because they look a lot like worms, EN favorite food, so I'd like to move them into my loach community tank (zebra, kubotai, sids, a sumo, etc) but I have no idea how to catch them without destroying the tank. There could be anywhere from 2-5 kuhlis in there, because the way I designed the tank it is very dark and murky, and I can't really tell individual loaches apart.

How do I catch them? I already tried the inside out bottle method that works well with botia loaches, but they were too tricky for that and figured out how to get back out. (I did catch like 75 shrimp! - which I used to seed some other tanks, because the EN will probably dramatically reduce the population).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, I don't know if that would work in my tank, without taking it apart, because it literally stuffed with huge branching pieces of drift wood, and tons of deritus/leaf litter, so I usually can't find even one of the loaches. I thinking I would need some type of trap maybe, but different than the one I used already.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had a pesky otto in my 55g that managed to beat the bottle trap 5 or 6 times. I eventually got him by putting some food in a net and hanging the net on the side of the tank. Eventually he swam right into the net and I pulled him out before he even knew what happened.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
This is a time when I would just bite the bullet and write them off. Not enough good to pay for the damage to the rest of the tank as well as labor involved. Last pair of Kuhlia I had would not be caught so they wound up staying with the big boys until I shut the tank down. Then I found them under the pile of rocks that I had laid out the day before.
Oh, well! They never came out to be seen anyway.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If you could clear a foot or so at one end you might try the sheet of glass trick (I use a sheet of acrylic, though).

I am with Rich: If they cannot be caught, let em be. Kuhlies are almost always the last fish to be caught when I am moving a tank, and there is always that one that burrows under the substrate and I have to be VERY careful scooping it out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I will just leave them in there... afterall, EN are pretty deliberate eaters, and if I can't catch the kuhlis (they are SO dang fast!) maybe they won't either!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts