The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Does anyone have advice on catching these guys, I need to separate the adults, because if I don't, they will over run the tank. These things a worse than rabbits....

I've tried a few tricks, inverting a bottle with their favourite food, baiting them with food, but they seem to be learning or know better now. Is there any other trick or a simple way of getting them out, or potentially a food they just can't resist? Algae wafers and New Life Spectrum sinking pellets are hit and miss.

I may need to pull out the driftwood and some plants, which will stir up some substrate (3yr old EcoComplete) and will upset my SAE's but I don't think I have a choice

Thanks for any ideas or advice!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Do you have any pleco caves in there? My male adults always spent most of their time in the bamboo caves I had so when I had to separate mine I just picked up the cave with the fish in it - that part was easy. For the fry, can't remember how I got them all, but try using 2 nets, using one to herd them into the other. I was able to sell about 40 fry to one person so it was a two person job catching all of them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not sure if this helps at with your pleco, but I found this worked well when I need to net out some cardinal tetra that I otherwise just couldn't catch. Do it at night with all lights out, and use a bright torch to stun the fish you want to catch and swiftly net them up whilst they are doing the whole rabbits in the headlights thing. Not sure how well this translates across to catching your pleco fry, but worked a treat for my tetra!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.