The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to maybe get a catalina solar 2x55 or 2x65 compact.

First, regarding bulbs: Am I correct to assume the 5200K and 6500K are roughly equivalent to AH Supply's 5500K and 6700K; i.e., the first has a yellowish look while the second has a harsher white. Any further detail is appreciated.

Secondly, they have a pinkish plant bulb with no listed color temp. Can someone describe this? Are there recommendations on what would look best with plants and fish (cardinal tetras, etc.)? Given that two bulb are called for, maybe a combination?

Lastly, the reflectors on Catalina's look squared vs. the parabolic reflector of AHS. Is there much of a difference in resulting light intensity, or for that matter a difference between the 55W and 65W?

I know that's a lot of questions. Your replies to any of them are appreciated.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just got my Catalina solar T5 setup yesterday (check out my journal for more pictures). The 6500k look very white to the human eye, the 5200k will be a littler warmer.

As for the pink bulb, I would ask Catalina about that. Their service is very good.

Trust me, the reflectors on the setup are fantastic, it focuses the light very well into the tank. The only downside to the Catalina light is that the legs are kind of a pain to mount and adjust.

·
Registered
999 Posts
their "pink" bulb although I wouldn't know the kelvin rating, is their equivilant to the planta bulb or geisemann's aquaflora bulb. Helps warm up the 6700K's light visually and makes the reds "pop" a little more I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.