The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!
Well I got outa the hobby around 2010 or so, had to leave it behind for school but now that I'm done and have a good paying job I'm back and more excited then ever. Well I guess my question is when I left it was all the rage of running t5ho lights and I still have them on my tank at my parents which went from nice and healthy getting dosed daily with Pzerts( btw heard the went outa business :( and having a gla reg and being gorgeous to destroyed in just a matter of weeks when I left for school. Always I'm starting to ramble I guess my main question is I went on Catalina aquariums website so see what's up and seems like they haven't updated anything lately product wise and almost everything I remember on there is gone now. I have a t5ho 3 blub solar light from them and would like to see if they can make me a 36inch 3 bulb or 2 bulb t5ho set up. After returning to the hobby looks like most have moved onto led set ups and they seem to be cheaper then ever. Should I just go led? Was thinking of getting the finnex 24/7 or planted + would that be better then running a t5ho set up. Sorry for the long draw out post I'm just excited and mildly lost being back in the hobby so much has changed..... Well not everything everyone still runs eheims lol

Cliff note version
Does Catalina aquariums still build t5ho set ups?
Are they even around anymore?
Should I go led or just stay with my 3 bulb t5ho?
If I go led what will I need to buy to relatively comparable par wise to my old set up?
Are the finnex planted + or 24/7 any good?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I'm relatively sure you'll get at least a couple of replies which state differently,
but I believe you will need to shell out high dollars to get anything decent to
replace the spectrum you get from T5 in any LED that is sold now.
It is not that hard to get high PAR from some of the LED fixtures. Just that the
narrow spectrum range of the white bulbs doesn't do much for the color of your
plants or fish. The Stingray is a fixture which attempts to correct that by adding
some red bulbs to the fixture. Depending on how tall your tank is, it may or may
get you high enough in intensity for high light plants.
Satalite Plus is in the higher range and is broad spectrumed but then were getting
close to if not over $200.
So if you like LED for any particular reason like saves your light bill then there out
there if you don't mind the cost of the ones that have some color to them.
But here is a link to Catalina. Lighting - Catalina Aquarium

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get what your saying, I'm not dead set on led I'm used to t5 bulbs but thought if led are really that much better id give them a shot. Well I know the site is still up but looks outdated like no one has touched it in years. Guess I'll have to call them for pricing and ask them to make me a custom light possibly. On a side note my 48 inch t5ho needs bulbs what are people run k wise these days and brand wise?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I have found that almost any K value bulb that I use, if there is enough of it the
plants will grow. I had a 30L tank 16" tall minus the sub but the fixture was suspended above the top of the rim about .75 so likely close to 15" from the sub for the bulbs.
It was a "shop light" with no reflectors and two T8 bulbs @ 3100K.
Plants grew just fine.
But 6500K is the most often recommended K value for plants.
Zoo Med has a "Flora sun" which is about 5000K and has strong red and blue
spectrum. It has poor visible light though. Never have used two of them together
but frequently used one of those along/w an AquaticLife Natural White 6000K bulb.
I got noticeable good growth using one of those by it's self in a 10g tank.
Aquarium Lighting T-5 HO Florescent Bulbs: AquaticLife T5 HO Natural White 6,000°K Fluorescent Lamps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.