The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice on choosing between Catalina Aquarium's Silver Solar T5 HO and Current USA's Nova Extreme T5 x2 for Freshwater? I bought the Nova Extreme, but I'm starting to worry that I might regret not spending the extra $25 for the CA. There are a lot of CA fans on this site.

By the way, this is for a new 60p setup: Iwagumi-style (Seiryu, UG, etc.); pressurized CO2; and Eheim 2213.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
For that tank, having a T5HO light with a poor reflector is a big advantage. So, you got the right light. But, I suspect it is still too bright for that tank unless you raise it about a foot above the tank.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Hoppy. You are the lighting expert, and I'm sorry I didn't stumble across your chart before ordering a light. I'll definitely make sure the light is a foot above the tank.

I'm curious to how much the better reflectors on lights like the CA Solar change or distort the wpg rule? CA claims that the Solar's reflector triples light output from each bulb. Does that mean that its 48 Watt rating is tripled? Why on Earth would anyone need that much light on a 24" piece of equipment?

I'm also not sure how I feel about owning equipment with a "poor" reflector. It doesn't sound like it will scale well. Would I be better off with a different lighting solution altogether?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If it's one if the Current's with the reflector bent like a W, the reflector isn't bad at all. I have a current 4x39 T5HO that I was running 2 bulbs in and it still was too much light. I have it sitting on the plastic legs and am now trying just one bulb. The light still seems to reach the dwarf chain swords ok. It's on on 21 inch tall 57 Gallon by the way.

If I had to do it over, I would buy the Catalina but since my Current USA is already "overkill", no need to change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.