The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, about a week and a half ago my shrimp population was absolutely thriving in my 29g heavily planted aquarium. My RCS were reproducing like mad, almost all my females were saddled and/or berried. I had shrimplets all through my taiwan moss and all over my substrate. Now they're almost pretty much wiped out. I have no idea what caused the sudden deaths as my other fish which are H. rasboras and otos are completely fine. I know shrimp are more sensitive than fish but it seemed to be an instant thing when they all started dying.

I first noticed one of my male RCS frantically swimming around the tank then just giving up and floating down to the substrate onto his back then kicking his legs and pleopods profusely. I also noticed that his normal transparent body was "milky" in appearance and this is also a sign that the shrimp is dying.
This was the only shrimp I noticed doing this for the night until I woke up the next morning and noticed that my other shrimp were doing the same thing, some of my females and males both doing the frantic swim around the tank and had the "milky" appearance. I instantly checked all my water parameters that I actually have tests for and they were:

NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: 0
Ammonia: 0
PH: 7.4

I have DIY CO2 going in my tank via ceramic glass diffuser that shoots out a fine bubble mist(thanks HooHa). I don't have any other test kits such as KH; GH; FE; CO2; or anything that measures for heavy metals in the water. I hope to purchase these in the future.

Now I don't believe it's a copper issue because I only use fish food that doesn't have copper sulfate in the ingredients. I use Hikari algae pellets to feed my RCS. I also fed them red granule pieces that is supposed to enhance coloring in fish/inverts also. I don't feed that to them too often, their main diet consists of Hikari algae pellets and what ever algae is in my tank.

As for the water changes, I didn't do any up until this point when I noticed my shrimp going crazy. I checked all the water parameters before doing the water change and everything still read '0' and PH was the same. So that'd elminate copper coming into my tank via water changes.
Since that initial water change i've done about 3 more all being 50% water changes. Even after those water changes I still lost almost all my RCS. Now I only have roughly a dozen left and I'm still not sure if they're going to make it. I saw one of my berried RCS dropping her eggs as she scoured the substrate. My Atyopsis Moluccensis barely comes out from underneath my driftwood to perch for floating food in my water.

Anyway, with the specs i've given, would anyone know why my shrimp decided to croak in 24 hours and not gradually? Seemed like "BOOM! time to die shrimp!"

Was it because of the lack of water changes? No other suffcient water test kits? I have other fish (h. rasboras and otos) but they never bothered my shrimp to begin with, they WERE thriving and reproducing like roaches.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sorry to hear about your losses :(

I am not really sure other then poison of some sort. Did anyone use lotion or soap on their hands before putting there hands in the tank? Did anyone spray anything near the tank?
I also find it odd that your test for nitrate came back 0. You should pretty much always have some nitrate in the water with the food and "poop" of the shrimp and fish. It causes me to believe that if that test came back wrong that possibly the other ones did and you might actually have ammonia & nitritewhich is very deadly to shrimp. Is the temp of the water the same as always?
I know this probably didn't help much but I thought I would give you my thoughts.
Good luck.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about your losses :(

I am not really sure other then poison of some sort. Did anyone use lotion or soap on their hands before putting there hands in the tank? Did anyone spray anything near the tank?
I also find it odd that your test for nitrate came back 0. You should pretty much always have some nitrate in the water with the food and "poop" of the shrimp and fish. It causes me to believe that if that test came back wrong that possibly the other ones did and you might actually have ammonia & nitritewhich is very deadly to shrimp. Is the temp of the water the same as always?
I know this probably didn't help much but I thought I would give you my thoughts.
Good luck.
The water temperature is constant at 75F. I'm the ONLY one that puts my hands in my tank, if i caught anyone else putting their slimey hands into my work of art, heads would be rollin'. ;) I'm very anal when it comes to putting my hands into my tank making sure no substances are on them such as lotion. I know it's not cleaning chemicals because i don't use any in my room where the tank is kept just for that reason.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
how often do you change the water in this tank? How long ago was the last water change until this current one?

Ive noticed the same thing happen in my 10gallon shrimp breeder. I rarely change the water...just top offs. When i finally did a water change (50%) the shrimp started acting the same way as you described. I didn't do another water change but i did add 3 to 4 times the normal amount of Prime to the tank. That seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Do you dose micros in the tank. I know Flourish has a negligible amount of copper sulfate like 0.0001mg/l, but maybe an overdose could have done them in.

·
Banned
418 Posts
How are you guys doing your water changes? In the past when I breed Angels I would just do a W/C and although months prior water from the tap was fine during the hotter months the city added a LOT of chlorine so my water params where not the same. Even after treating and aging the water it still had some ill effects on sensative fry. Since then I only use RO water in all of my tanks when I do water changes except for my harty P tank!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm curious what your water hardness was at. If you don't do water changes and are just topping off are you topping off with DI/RO water? If your water is pretty hard to begin with and you continue topping off with the same water, your hardness is eventually going to go up quite a bit because the solids in the water don't evaporate. I would recommend starting weekly 20-30% water changes instead of just topping off if that's the case. Perhaps the hardness just got past a point that the shrimp could handle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts