The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thing is my GF would like to have a cat and I would like to keep my fish alive if she buys it:) Seriously, a question for all of you guys that have cats and fish tanks, do they get along well? We would like to know what breed of cat should we choose that won't harm fish nor potted plants and what to do to prevent a cat from jumping on my fish tank. Any advices would be appreciated:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Good luck with that..... Get a fat old cat that has no interest in anything, every cat ive had love jumping up on the counter and peeking in my tanks. especially at night. I started to put glo sticks around their necks for colors, then id know who the purpitrator was so i could squirt them.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
My cats drink out of my open top tanks, which is pretty annoying sometimes because they knock stuff over that is next to the tanks.
They do like to watch the fish though, they can sit on the floor looking up into the aquarium for almost 30 minutes, which is pretty impressive considering my cats seem to have ADHD.

·
GEEK
664 Posts
I have 5 cats. Three are domestic short hair cats, one is a Turkish Angora and one is a Bengal. I also have at any given time a litter or two of foster kittens from a local shelter. The younger ones seem to have more of an interest in the inhabitants of the tank, and will jump up on the tank, swat at the fish and shrimp and just stare. I would definitely recommend a cover / canopy that can withstand the weight of a cat. It's as enjoyable to watch a kitten watching the fish tank as it is watching the fish tank.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mine used to be into watching the fish until the lid broke and he fell in. Since then he's been terrified of it. However he would still drink out of the smaller tank (totally uninterested in the fish). I figured he just wanted to drink from moving water, so I replaced the water bowl with a tabletop fountain and he hasn't gone near the tank since. My other cat never went near them to begin with.

All cats have different personalities, it really just depends how they'll act.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a step stool in front of both my aquariums for the cats. They absolutely love to watch the fish and try to catch them, they just cannot figure out why they fail [glass] :). Mine never even try to get on top of the tanks.

cat+stool+fish= hours of entertainment for everyone

·
Registered
499 Posts
One of my cats drinks out of the HOB filter and watches the fish; she leaves smears all over the glass pressing her nose against it. The other cat doesnt even act like they exist. I would definitely get a top to be safe though.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've got 8 cats at my house currently--our two plus a mother and month-old kittens we are fostering. They don't really do anything bad with the tank. I have a very hyperactive cat who loves to jump up at the fish as they swim past; they actually play with her. When the fish see her near the tank, they follow her around like they are teasing her. She has a chair in front of the tank so she can sit and watch. I would just recommend having a canopy of some sorts on top for safety, especially if she gets a kitten, because I wouldn't want to see it fall in when no one is around to rescue it if it can't get out. And make sure it won't be able to rub against your light bulbs and burn itself--I had a friend whose girlfriend's cat would always crawl under the metal halide lights to drink out of his saltwater tank (It had some sort of a thing for saltwater...?) and would burn itself on the bulbs.

Cats can be trained, if not quite the same as dogs. Get a squirt bottle filled with either water or if that loses its effectiveness, put vinegar in it. When the cat does something you don't like (getting on the countertop, scratching the couch, messing with the fish tank...) say no loudly and then squirt the cat. Very quickly they will learn what no means, and learn what their boundaries are. I've got one that pushes me all the time; she will jump on the dining room table where she's not allowed and look at me with that big-eyed innocent face, but when I yell no, she jumps right down! I've had a lot of cats, and she's probably the most trouble I've ever had from one, just because she tests authority all the time.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Spray bottle never worked on mine, I finally had to resort to dunking him in the aquarium which he already feared. He is definitely an authority tester.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have no problems with my cat. If you getting a kitten you will need to teach it not to jump on counters, table and tanks so I would definitely get a cover. It will take some time so be patient :) Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for so much info:) What we were thinking is put a sliding door in the living room so the cat stays in the kitchen and foyer (or on the other opening, so the cat has bedroom and bathroom for itself) when we are not home and release it when I come back from work. how's that?

·
Banned
332 Posts
I have two cats in a house with 5 cats and none of them really seem to care too much. One is about a year old and other then watching is not that interested. All the tanks are open. There is no ledge or anywhere for the cats to sit on to watch the fish, they have to gaze up from a couple feet down or jump up on the lip of the tank. I would expect some curiosity initially but if the cats have other means of amusing themselves and if they drink out of your tank either buy or make one of those watering dishes that recirculates the water and moves it. I made one of those and it amuses them for hours.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've got 2 cats. Only one of them shows any interest in my tanks, but he's a terror. Jumps from the floor to the top of my 90gal to drink, try to catch fish, and pull up my plants to eat them. He's broken several covers, but the covers do help. Definitely can't leave any plants lying around- he's worse than Garfield. I've no idea how much $$ he's eaten in plants over the years, both aquatic and non-aquatic. :icon_roll

I wouldn't let it keep me from getting a cat, though.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My cat also uses my 20L as a pet fountain, sure saves a lot of hassle and money. I no longer give her water in her bowl as I notice she drinks a lot more (vs water in bowl), which overall is a good thing.

She doesn't bother the fish though and only once has she gone fishing for floating Pistia

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Thanks guys for so much info:) What we were thinking is put a sliding door in the living room so the cat stays in the kitchen and foyer (or on the other opening, so the cat has bedroom and bathroom for itself) when we are not home and release it when I come back from work. how's that?
That's a good idea, as long as the cat has some space to roam and litter with food available it ok to lock him out of the room with tanks :)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Uncovered tank = cat toy.
Covered tank = cat TV.
LOL, well said, but here's my edit:

Uncovered tank = cat water fountain.
Covered tank = cat TV.

;)

I've never had my cats try walking on top of the tanks, or reaching inside of them, or anything like that at all... but as soon as a little evaporation causes there to be a sound of trickling water from the filter return, they are up there drinking from it!

I should just go ahead and get one of those recirculating water bowls, for real. Apparently cats like the sound of recirculating water. It must be an instinctual thing, letting them know it's safe to drink or something...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts