The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to do a carpet in my 20 long. I currently have 2 wpg of 6500K cfl lighting, but I can double that if needed. Lights are on for 8 hrs a day. I would like to do a carpet of Fissidens fontanus or some other sort of moss. I have a DIY CO2 set up that runs into one of two HOB power filters on the tank. I dose weekly with API Leaf Zone (although I think I'm going to switch to Flourish after this bottle is gone). Does anyone have any suggestions for other types of carpeting plants that might do well in my setup? Will I need to bump up my light to promote faster growth of the carpet and to keep it short since my tank is only 12" tall? I've had limited luck with finding this stuff for sale, but ebay seems to usually have a few hits for it. Does anyone know another source? Also, if I do bump up my lighting, what do I do to keep algae down?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I really want to do a carpet in my 20 long. I currently have 2 wpg of 6500K cfl lighting, but I can double that if needed. Lights are on for 8 hrs a day. I would like to do a carpet of Fissidens fontanus or some other sort of moss. I have a DIY CO2 set up that runs into one of two HOB power filters on the tank. I dose weekly with API Leaf Zone (although I think I'm going to switch to Flourish after this bottle is gone). Does anyone have any suggestions for other types of carpeting plants that might do well in my setup? Will I need to bump up my light to promote faster growth of the carpet and to keep it short since my tank is only 12" tall? I've had limited luck with finding this stuff for sale, but ebay seems to usually have a few hits for it. Does anyone know another source? Also, if I do bump up my lighting, what do I do to keep algae down?
I like your moss selection; however, I will say moss can grow very slowly. If you want a lush carpet grown in a few month, you might want to go with another alternative. Since you're aware that upping your light might result in algae blooms, I think u might want to look at dwarf hair grass (DHG) or Pygmy Chain Sword "Echinodorus tenellus" that is perfect for your tank conditions without upping your light. Root tabs does wonders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts