The Planted Tank Forum banner

Carpeting plants in low lighting?

796 5
Are there any carpeting plants that can be grown in low lighting and grow well in Eco Complete with good fertilizer?

I have a low to moderate lighted tank, more on the lower side though. I understand that there are a lot of plants like these that need moderate to bright or bright to very bright.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Are there any carpeting plants that can be grown in low lighting and grow well in Eco Complete with good fertilizer?

I have a low to moderate lighted tank, more on the lower side though. I understand that there are a lot of plants like these that need moderate to bright or bright to very bright.
Dennis Wong's site is an excellent resource for all thing planted tank.Here's his article on how to grow low tech carpets:
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/carpeting-plants.html

But you're right that traditional carpeting plants need lots of light. Some my survive on less, but they won't stay short & compact. No experience with either myself, but a mat of java moss, or susswasstertang might work for you in low light. Perhaps others can weigh in on their experience with those

Will be interested to see what you end up trying, and how it works for you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Might I suggest looking into the dwarf Sagittaria Subulata? I had a couple of them that I kept in ambient room light for better than a year - they looked amazing! The leaves didn't grow longer than 2 inches in the low light, although when I re-homed the tank to a west-facing window, the oldest plants reached 4 inches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.