The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my first high tech set up running for about 2 months now. I planted DHG at the beginning and its growing but not at the rate I want. There are runners and new plants growth but it doesn't grow enough to where I need to trim. It's also growing slow enough that it's collecting some green hair algae. I've been thinking of tearing it out and starting over with a new plant and have been looking at Monte Carlo. I'd like to have something that's a fast grower. What do you all think?

Thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
Monte Carlo is easy and quick if your looking for that but remember the green hair algae may not go away no matter what plant you go with. Try to get co2 levels stable before spending more money on plants. DHG is one of those ones that will look so nice if it grows out and well worth the wait.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What sub? Hc and monte carlo i couldnt keep planted in sts,similar in size as flourite. Glosso grows fast and roots well.
Substrate is a mixture of Eco and blasting abrasive, about 80% is blasting abrasive.

Monte Carlo is easy and quick if your looking for that but remember the green hair algae may not go away no matter what plant you go with. Try to get co2 levels stable before spending more money on plants. DHG is one of those ones that will look so nice if it grows out and well worth the wait.
I believe my co2 levels are consistent. The algae only grows I the front where I'm trying to carpet where the light is more intense. It looks like black beard but it's green and h202 has not effect on it.

Also if I stick with DHG is the Belem any better?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Substrate is a mixture of Eco and blasting abrasive, about 80% is blasting abrasive.

I believe my co2 levels are consistent. The algae only grows I the front where I'm trying to carpet where the light is more intense. It looks like black beard but it's green and h202 has not effect on it.

Also if I stick with DHG is the Belem any better?
Ah I see what you mean, maybe you can raise lights up just a bit. They are both very nice, slow growth rates though. The thing is, you have to hang in there, but once it takes off, it really takes off!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hydrocotyle Japan carpets, it grows FAST, and you have to keep it trimmed, or it turns into a big blob. S. repens is a nice carpeter. Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' is an amazing plant, DHG, that stays 1-1.5" tall. It is doing well in my 55g with a ray 2.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am glad you said this about DHG because I just bought and planted it in my tank. I got 3 nice large healthy patches from Bartohog from here. It just went in today in my 40g breeder and even with it all pulled apart and small patches are all around the tank I already love how I think its going to look

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ah I see what you mean, maybe you can raise lights up just a bit. They are both very nice, slow growth rates though. The thing is, you have to hang in there, but once it takes off, it really takes off!
Maybe I can stick it out a few more weeks and see what happens. Is it ok to trim the algae infected portions? I was considering buying more to help speed up the process. If I do is the Belem ok to mix with what I have now? Anyone have an idea of the algae I have and how to remedy it?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Maybe I can stick it out a few more weeks and see what happens. Is it ok to trim the algae infected portions? I was considering buying more to help speed up the process. If I do is the Belem ok to mix with what I have now? Anyone have an idea of the algae I have and how to remedy it?
Dang man it's looking awesome!! It would be a shame to tear this out.. Yeah give it a little trim on the algae affected areas for sure.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Dang man it's looking awesome!! It would be a shame to tear this out.. Yeah give it a little trim on the algae affected areas for sure.
This is what I got going on. It's seems to migrate to the DHG and the Eco. Also does DHG do well with the addition of iron? If so great because I started dosing some today.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Trim it. DHG will spread faster if you trim it regularly.

If you don't trim it, it tries to grow up instead out out.

It likes a rich substrate. Some root tabs might help.
I did put some root tabs in about a month ago.

Bump:
O.K. now I see it!!!

What are you currently dosing. You don't need extra iron.
EI schedule for 20-40g tanks

1/4 tsp kno3
1/16 tsp kh2po4
1/16 tsp csmb

Yesterday I started 1/16 k2so4 for some extra potassium. I have been noticing small pins holes in the star grass.

Also looked at some dosing calculators the other day and they showed that I wasn't dosing enough kno3 and trace. FYI this is my first go at dosing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.