The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use pots for plants that need dirt but would love to carpet my inert substrates (fluorite or stones), however the popular carpet plants all appear to be substrate feeders. I don't want to have to disturb the substrate at all by adding root tabs or the like once it grows in, would have to get all it needs from the water ferts. I've thought about using ferns but that would make more of a jungle rather than a 3" or less in height carpet. I'm not a heavy trimmer and prefer naturally overgrown tanks so having to 'mow the lawn' constantly would not work for me either. Perhaps some type of moss? Any ideas would be welcome, thank you!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the feedback!

I've tried dwarf hairgrass and a few others which do well in my pots but didn't work in the substrate, perhaps I should look into heavier dosing. I always try to error on the side of caution with ferts and dose half or less the recommended amount due to my tanks being very overstocked with fish and inverts. Inhabitants are all quite healthy and thriving at this point and I don't want that to change so perhaps I should try very gradually upping the dosages.

Christmas moss does look awesome, I think I'll give that a try next if I can find a way to attach it to loose substrate. Perhaps I can attach it to some mopani wood then see if it will creep onto the substrate over time...

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I use pots for plants that need dirt but would love to carpet my inert substrates (fluorite or stones), however the popular carpet plants all appear to be substrate feeders. I don't want to have to disturb the substrate at all by adding root tabs or the like once it grows in, would have to get all it needs from the water ferts. I've thought about using ferns but that would make more of a jungle rather than a 3" or less in height carpet. I'm not a heavy trimmer and prefer naturally overgrown tanks so having to 'mow the lawn' constantly would not work for me either. Perhaps some type of moss? Any ideas would be welcome, thank you!
Actually the reverse is more likely the case, they get all the ferts from the water...........now some ferts in the water....obviously go into the sediments..........

So you never get around this, most foreground plants are wimpy poorly rooted fast growing weeds that grown along the muddy banks of ditches, streams etc. They are generally very soft and fragment easily.

Hardly traits for a root feeder..........., they need roots for emergent growth when the water level drops.

I've grown most of the foreground plants in plain sand or flourite.

No issues.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for clearing things up for me Tom. What I thought was a need of the plants has turned out to just be a lack on my part to add more ferts! The carpet plants I've tried do fine in dirt pots with root tabs but wither away in my substrate - it wasn't because they are primarily root feeders as I thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts