The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest an easy to grow, low to medium light carpet plant? I saw something on ebay called "Fissi."? Have'nt been able to find anything out about it. Any ideas for a carpet plant?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would recommend dwarf sags (S. subulata). They grow well in tanks with the standard fluorescent hoods most tanks come with IME. If you have more powerful lighting then pygmy chain swords (E. tenellus) would also do.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i would also suggest dwarf sag, nice plant gets a bit invasive but pretty clean looking. How close together is your gravel? is it standard gravel or do you have something special? eco complete etc. i tried microsword prior to dwarf sag and it grew all stringy due to me having standard gravel.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Moss - Java and weeping if nicely controlled can look amazing as carpets. Attach them to longer pieces of wood/stone (slate works well) and let it grow. The added benefit IMO is that the slate deters any running plants from shooting out runners all over the tank since it wont let any through.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I aggree Hobbes, I like Java moss too. I was thinking of adding it to another part of the tank though. I also really like to dwarf sag Marco. How does it work? You plant one every 1/2" to 1" in the area that you want it? Is there any way of preventing it from becoming envasive? Like, adding a rock barrier, under the substrate, to prevent it from growing outside of the area that you want it to?
What about dwarf hairgrass? Anyone have an opinion on that?

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can keep dwarf sag from spreading where it isn't wanted by putting in a rock barrier or trimming it back. Dwarf hairgrass my require more light than you can provide.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I aggree Hobbes, I like Java moss too. I was thinking of adding it to another part of the tank though. I also really like to dwarf sag Marco. How does it work? You plant one every 1/2" to 1" in the area that you want it? Is there any way of preventing it from becoming envasive? Like, adding a rock barrier, under the substrate, to prevent it from growing outside of the area that you want it to?
What about dwarf hairgrass? Anyone have an opinion on that?
ime, dwarf hairgrass is extremely invasive. e tellenus and s subulata are almost as bad, but at least you can pull up the growing tip of a runner and pull up as many plants as you need to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts