The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys recommend for a good carpet/foreground plant, i was going to go with dwarf sag because i used to be able to get it locally but cant seem to find it any more. i was looking at pygmy chain swords they look nice. Medium light, diy co2, sand substrate with root tabs. Want something that will fill in nice but be manageable to maintain.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have success with the pygmy chain swords. They have strong roots and could do well in fine substrates other than in soil or sand.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I ordered 5 dwarf sagittaria subulata and I think they would make a cool carpet plant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually picked up what i think is a crypt parva yesterday, nice little plant but from what i can find on them, seems like it would grow too slow to make a nice carpet plant. im leaning towards the pygmy swords right now, but havent decided for sure yet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
it grows fairly slow..but it can easily spread to a carpet with ferts, co2 and decent light..just get a few plants and break them up..

pygmy sword is way to invasive imo...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not much of a carpet plant but i use blyxa japonica to carpet my 125. It grows ridiculously fast and propagate like a stem plant and makes a bushy grass. It does well in my pfs. I tried micro sword but its too slow. I'm impatient :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
And since it bushes out at the top and the bottom is more compact my corydoras can swim under it happily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts