The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through the big list of low tech plants, google searching ect... Im still lost. Right now the tank is recently cycled and fishless until thursday when my Corys come in at the lfs. I have gravel which is getting swapped out for sand hopefully tomorrow.

Is there a particular carpet like plant you would suggest? Something the corys wont destroy? I have a feeling your laughing. Lol. I have stock LED that came with my topfin 20T. Im also looking for a good moss. Can anyone suggest something cory proof?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Low light is hard to carpet for obvious reasons. I went with the "shag" carpet idea of crypt willissi (sp?). Looks like the highlighted in this image http://bharada.com/misc/willisii1.jpg

I have it in eco complete with a pack of corys and so far it's all stayed put

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a trip to the mom and pop lfs. Im not a fan of that store but they can order a wider variety than petsmart. Especially plants.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
You might get away with dwarf hairgrass, but in my experience you need at least 1.5 wpg and excel dosing about 3 or more times a week. Oh, and the carpeting will be relatively slow as a result of low tech :/

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You'll have a lot better growth with rooted carpet plants if you pick a substrate with some nutrient content rather than sand.

Are you planning on running any CO2 on this tank? That choice will dramatically impact which carpeting species you'll want to look at.

Are you wanting to grow moss as a carpet, or tie it onto some hardscape?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was actually trying to see if the mom and pop could get activflora for me instead of sand. I still havent gotten the plants my mom supposedly ordered.. I dont have co2, this is all pretty new to me. I think its going to be something i slowly work up to. Ill definately start looking it up, i think i saw some diy ones i might be able to pull off lol.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
OK so starting off with no CO2:

I'd recommend Marselia minuta (the other species all do much better with CO2, M. minuta will carpet even without) or Lilaeopsis mauritiana (again, none of the other Lilaeopsis species tend to do particuarlly well without CO2).

What size tank will you be planting? Dwarf chain swords and dwarf Sagittaria may be an option if you're working with a bigger tank but would probably be too big for a carpet in a nano tank.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a 20 gal high. One corner is going to have some rock caves, and i might make an attempt at a bridge. Right now all ive got is a java fern and a moss ball.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts