The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planted my first iwagumi setup. Been up and going for about a month. Everything was doing great until this past week. Now my montecarlo and Echinodorus tenellus is melting. I can't seem.to.figure out why. Any input would be great!

Co2 injection
Ph 7.4 beginning of co2 on then 6.4 - 6.2 at lights off
Gh 8
Kh 3
Ammonia amd nitrite zero
Nitrate 10
Dosing everyday woth apt complete
52 watt hygger full.spec.
21 watt nicrew full spectrum
25 watt orbit satellite full spectrum
New light coming in next week to replace all three

Hopefully that is all everyone needs lol. Diatoms just appeared this week. I jave upped my waterchanges to 3 times a.week and added waterlettuce, red root floaters, water sprite, and hornwort to help.with nutrient uptake. Also water outta my tap is ph 8.4. After 24 hours 7.6 tank gets down to about 6.2 with aqua soil and co2. Is it okay to.do big water changes with my tap having an initial ph of 8.4?

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Planted my first iwagumi setup. Been up and going for about a month. Everything was doing great until this past week. Now my montecarlo and Echinodorus tenellus is melting. I can't seem.to.figure out why. Any input would be great!

Co2 injection
Ph 7.4 beginning of co2 on then 6.4 - 6.2 at lights off
Gh 8
Kh 3
Ammonia amd nitrite zero
Nitrate 10
Dosing everyday woth apt complete
52 watt hygger full.spec.
21 watt nicrew full spectrum
25 watt orbit satellite full spectrum
New light coming in next week to replace all three

Hopefully that is all everyone needs lol. Diatoms just appeared this week. I jave upped my waterchanges to 3 times a.week and added waterlettuce, red root floaters, water sprite, and hornwort to help.with nutrient uptake. Also water outta my tap is ph 8.4. After 24 hours 7.6 tank gets down to about 6.2 with aqua soil and co2. Is it okay to.do big water changes with my tap having an initial ph of 8.4?
Good luck!! It was a struggle for me when I started my tank 5 months ago and lost many plants. Hopefully guys here with expeirnece can help you to take the correct actions to be successful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck!! It was a struggle for me when I started my tank 5 months ago and lost many plants. Hopefully guys here with expeirnece can help you to take the correct actions to be successful.
Appreciate it! I went in this morning and cleaned and cut.back as much as I could hopefully this will help. I put.in some.floating plants and hornwort for the diatoms. Just a waiting game now I guess 🤷

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just hang on. Post diatoms stage the Monte Carlo would pick up.

This is how I had struggled at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
When adding plants to a tank they almost always shed their leaves then grow new leaves which are better adjusted to the water conditions. The best thing to do is just wait it out and not change anything. If you try changing the tank parameters to help out the plants that look like they are dyeing the plants will just shed the emergent leaves and try to grow new leaves better suited for the even newer water conditions.

Just wait it out. Finding the patients to let the tank, water and plants settle to conditions in a new tank is the part of this hobby that I have the most trouble with.

In my 180g tank it does automatic 40g changes every morning and the plants immediately start pearling (This is after the shedding existing leaves and growing new leaves stage). I am on well water and have never worried about Ph, Gh, Kh etc. The parameters are what they are and if a plant doesn't like them the plant gets replaced with something else. The only readings I ever take are Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates to ensure my tank is healthy and I am not stocking too heavily. After 6 months I stopped even testing these and limit myself to only adding a fish or two at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts