The Planted Tank Forum banner

Carpet Dilema

897 Views 7 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Hmoobthor
I can't decide to keep which carpet plant...

Dwarf sag or flame moss?

right now I have 3 dwarf sag that is putting out runners and i really don't want them to be a pest when it start putting out runners.

I basically rescape and tear my water sprite...

Hoping to make my 20 long into a flame moss carpet..then slowly take out most of my stem plants once it starts to carpet..

Both don't seem to mix so i want to know ur opinion..

Edit: it's gonna to a shrimp only tank...
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
How are you going to carpet the moss? It will take a while to cover up plus it will collect debris unless you aggressively clean it. Also, you can easily remove the dwarf sag runners.
How are you going to carpet the moss? It will take a while to cover up plus it will collect debris unless you aggressively clean it. Also, you can easily remove the dwarf sag runners.
i already have 3 patch that are 3" tall with SS mesh that has been growing for 2 month.

I beeni taking a few pieces of strand of moss that came off and cover it on the gravel.

I know it will take time which is what i want cause im lazy and don't want to trim any plants..( so lazy this day) the sag will just over run.
If you don't want the dwarf sag, take it out then. It will grow out faster than the moss. If you want a flame moss carpet, get some more moss and SS mesh. Higher light and CO2 will produce faster moss growth. However it will be easier for algae to grow if you don't have the correct balance of light, CO2, and ferts.
If you don't want the dwarf sag, take it out then. It will grow out faster than the moss. If you want a flame moss carpet, get some more moss and SS mesh. Higher light and CO2 will produce faster moss growth. However it will be easier for algae to grow if you don't have the correct balance of light, CO2, and ferts.
i was thinking more like...give it a few month and see then take out the rest of the plants...
If you have for patience for that, go for it.
Let me tell you a story about flame moss...

i love the stuff, but it grows so densely it becomes a magnet for detritus. this super dense growth helps things like planaria thrive. this can be good and bad. bad for shrimp. tasty snacks for cory cats.. etc...

I have to regularly shake out tufts of moss to clear it from loose debris.

A true carpet would be absolutely lovely, but impractical
Let me tell you a story about flame moss...

i love the stuff, but it grows so densely it becomes a magnet for detritus. this super dense growth helps things like planaria thrive. this can be good and bad. bad for shrimp. tasty snacks for cory cats.. etc...

I have to regularly shake out tufts of moss to clear it from loose debris.

A true carpet would be absolutely lovely, but impractical
Thanks...debris should be a problem with my snail cleaning up after it.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.