The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5 days ago i put 24ish 1-1.5in neon tetras in my 150g community tank. Now 12 of them are MIA?!? The only thing big enough in my tank to eat them is my 6in bristlenose pleco, he's about 4 yrs old that i know...and he wound up belly up this morning?!?

I have checked all around the tank and no sign of the neones at all, not behind the tank, around the tank or on the glass. No clue whey he died.

The tank is a community tank with tiger barbs, flying foxes, SAE's a couple small Rams and a few sub 3in plecos...

I noticed last night he was laying out in the open fluttering his pectoral and anal fins which i thought was odd. Now i can't find my neons and he's dead...

Did he gorge himself on neons and then die because of it... I can't say i have ever heard of such a thing, but i know my tiger barbs do their best to try to explode themselves every time they eat.. :D

Anyone have any experience with this?? I have kept cichlids for about 7 or 8 years and this is my first attempt at a semi-peaceful tank so i am a bit confused to say the least... :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
i just came home from the lfs and i witnessed SAEs clearing up a dead carcass of another SAE... did they commit the act? i'm not sure

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
It isn't uncommon to have a large die off after getting neons from the pet store. It would be a good idea to put them in a smaller tank(~10 gallon) for a few weeks so that you don't have dead and diseased fish in your display tank. If your SAE ate one of the neons that had something bad, it could have killed it. It could also be elevated ammonia and/or nitrite levels from having that many fish die.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry you must have misunderstood. The only dead fish was the large 6in bristlenose pleco. The 12 neons disappeared altogether and i cannot figure out where... All neons were 100% healthy

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I don't think your fish just disappeared. I believe they died and were either eaten or got stuck in a hard to find spot. It is hard to find a dead fish in a well planted aquarium.

BTW, are you a skater?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
yeah, I agree with yoink..
tetras are pretty darn fast... There's no way anybody can catch them unless they die.... Any of your other fish could have eaten the dead bodies.
You better check your water conditions... That's most likely the culprit.

SAEs are pretty aggressive.. And tiger barbs in small groups can be aggressive... Rams could be as well. I wouldn't buy more timid fish like neons.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Neons are far too small. Being small, their bodies will easily dissolve fast or eaten fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts