The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
they are not for sale yet, just teasing everyone :)
for teh spinata, very warm temps (over 80), high pH neutral hardness, high oxygen.
When I googled to find out info about the cardina spinata some of the most prominent links were from a few years ago and were your posts on various forums about having and breeding these in a 29 gallon tank.

Did something happen to that population or did you just order more?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I googled to find out info about the cardina spinata some of the most prominent links were from a few years ago and were your posts on various forums about having and breeding these in a 29 gallon tank.

Did something happen to that population or did you just order more?
I sold them for christmas money :) Sometimes having 3 kids sucks!

I would assume easier than crystals, they like high pH and high temps, something a lot of us battle and fight for crystals in the opposite direction.

MUCH more difficult than crystals. Their collection water is actually very LOW gh/kh and very HIGH pH with very warm temperatures meaning any fluctuation in nitrification is very deadly very quickly.

CRS/bees are much more friendly as they are softwater and therefore toxicity is much lower.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
MUCH more difficult than crystals. Their collection water is actually very LOW gh/kh and very HIGH pH with very warm temperatures meaning any fluctuation in nitrification is very deadly very quickly.
Yes, I was more teasing than anything. Just saying high pH and temps are something the crystal people fight all the time but I understand you probably need a good substrate like coral to get the pH up there and still use RO water to keep the gh/kh down and find a fine balance.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yup, i use holey rock and RO. Holey rock is slower to leach the hardness. You also have to be very cuatious during water changes to not shock the shrimp. They drop like flies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.