The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated, my crystal red and black stop breeding, can you help see if i am missing anything .

i use RO water , salty shrimp gh+ to about 100 tds (gh at 3). ph is under 6 as it is undetectable by api ph test kit.
, ada aquasoil and sphagmum moss to lower ph

am i missing anything?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
What's the temp of the water? Caridina generally slow down in the winter. If you increase temps a bit you can usually get some berried throughout winter but nothing like spring and summer breeding.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'd bump it to hold steady at 74 and give it a few weeks. Also what tds is your ro water from the unit? Cause 100 tds from salty gh+ is more like 5 gh in my experience.

tds is about 0-2 from my unit. you might be right, it maybe closer to 4 than 3. i did 150 tds for a while before realizing that might be the cause for my shrimp not breeding. so i recently change it to 100 tds instead.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
tds is about 0-2 from my unit. you might be right, it maybe closer to 4 than 3. i did 150 tds for a while before realizing that might be the cause for my shrimp not breeding. so i recently change it to 100 tds instead.
You'll be fine with 4tds. Our pens are most certainly not the same unless you've calibrated yours with solution. I remineralize to like 80-85 for a gh of around 4.

Bump the heat on the tanks and let them ride for a few weeks. You'll probably get one berried.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Even though it's still working, you might want to consider replacing it.

I've heard of (but not experienced yet) tanks still within parameters, but substrate is 1+ years old and the shrimp stopped breeding. Replaced substrate, shrimp started breeding again.

Feel free to try the temp change first! But if you don't see success after a few months, consider replacing the substrate with new stuff.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Even though it's still working, you might want to consider replacing it.

I've heard of (but not experienced yet) tanks still within parameters, but substrate is 1+ years old and the shrimp stopped breeding. Replaced substrate, shrimp started breeding again.

Feel free to try the temp change first! But if you don't see success after a few months, consider replacing the substrate with new stuff.
Yep. I've had shrimp not breed due to old substrate. I leaned towards Temps due to winter but it could very well be substrate too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will try a little more patience. I've heard of substrate being the cause for cardina to stop breeding, but my ph is still low (according to api test kit, it's completely yellow which i take as being lower than 6), does this mean substrate does more for shrimp breeding than just lowering ph?

Yep. I've had shrimp not breed due to old substrate. I leaned towards Temps due to winter but it could very well be substrate too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.