The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I going to start a large planted Discus tank and I was wondering if anyone has used Eco Complete and Leslie's pool filter sand? I will use the eco complete as the base and use pool filter sand on top. Is this a good idea or not? I understand that some of the eco complete will show through.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I going to start a large planted Discus tank and I was wondering if anyone has used Eco Complete and Leslie's pool filter sand? I will use the eco complete as the base and use pool filter sand on top. Is this a good idea or not? I understand that some of the eco complete will show through.
From what I have seen on here, the sand will eventually end up under the gravel.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
EC has no value for nutrients and only can absorb them from the water and then
release them when the water gets low in nutients. But it can't do that if covered up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I think I will take Solcielo's advice and place the ECO in the back and sand in the front. I have one more question. Where can I purchase plastic substrate supports?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thank you all for your replies. I think I will take Solcielo's advice and place the ECO in the back and sand in the front. I have one more question. Where can I purchase plastic substrate supports?
I think most people make them themselves out of other plastics or objects.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
EC has no value for nutrients and only can absorb them from the water and then
release them when the water gets low in nutients. But it can't do that if covered up.
not true, EC comes with nutrients and once those become used up it can absorb from the water column to recharge itself.

Can anyone share what to use to keep the substrates separate?
any sort of plastic material would work, or eggcrate wrapped in mesh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts