The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently planted my cycling aquarium on Wednesday night, and a storm came through and knocked out our power. The plants had spent Monday through Wednesday in shipping. How long can the plants survive in a still tank without light and water flow? Should I pull them out and put them in a bowl outside in the sunlight?

Thanks
Ridley

·
Registered
452 Posts
It depends on what kind of plants they are and how they made it through shipping. Hopefully they looked ok when you unpacked them.

Generally speaking, "easy" low tech plants will be fine, but more demanding plants are going to get sad and start melting more quickly. If the plants are emersed grown they might do better if they are kept moist, but still exposed to air, but you'll have to be careful to not let them dry out.

I hope the power comes back on soon!

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Which plants do you have? My 75g was running with high lights, injected CO2, and an overstock of fish when hurricane Ike knocked out the power for almost 2 weeks. To keep the tank aerated, I added battery powered bubblers and performed frequent water changes. When the power came back on, I had lost either 1 or 2 fish (out of maybe 50?) and a couple of plants (remember, they required high light and CO2). The main difference is that my plants were already established.

If you have plants that need high light, then it might be best to float them where they can get natural light. If they're low light plants, such as anubias, you can leave them were they are.

If your power outage goes on for an extended time, such as 2 weeks, then you may need to bring even low light plants somewhere that they can get bright shade. Just remember to keep the water moving… if not by battery powered bubbles, then by water changes or even scooping up the water and dropping back into the bucket like a waterfall. Do not allow a film to form on the top of the water.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. All plants were very healthy, low easy care plants. 100 cuttings that I don’t want to have to replant!

I’ll keep the water moving as suggested. Power should be back on by Sunday might at the latest. .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts