The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 5 cardinal tetra to slowly bump up my school to 15. I put them in a qt tank (20 gallon bare bottom, no decor, 2 sponge filters, 79°F, low ambient light 4 hours/ day, 0 ammo, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, gh 3, ph 6.8). Drip acclimated them over the course of a half hour, threw in a half dose of stressguard. Noticed one acting funny, all were pale. Gave them some blood worms and went to bed.

The next morning the one that was acting funny had a pale spot on its back and the caudal had fungus looking stuff on it, another one started acting funny and had lumps in the stomach. Long story short I've lost 3, I have 2 that are acting normal and starting to color up but they have been exposed to neon tetra disease.

Should I euthanize these 2, introduce them to my community or let them live out their time in my qt tank (I have 3 other qt tanks)? What would you guys do?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Continue to quarantine for up to a week or until you can cure symptoms. I wouldn't introduce an infectious disease from 2 tetras to your tank of 10.

I just read this disease is usually incurable. I would still treat for bacteria and parasites in case it is another disease.

Neon Tetra disease is caused by a parasite which can be stopped early. The inevitable death occurs when the infection has reached a level where physical symptoms are seen

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update- they are living out their days in the qt tank. One has just started showing signs, the other is still fine but I will not introduce them to the established 7 in already have (had 8 but one jumped and I couldn't save him). I'm not going to try to fill in the school until I can source a more reliable place than petco.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.