The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very strange title I know. I had a planted tank for about 6 months now, its totally fine, with some algae here and there, otherwise perfect water parameters. I've had a shoal of 6 cardinal tetras since about the 2-month mark. I recently (3 days ago) added 3 guppies, two female and one male. The first night the male went missing, never found (at least not yet), second night one female was on the bottom with no fins. I have one female left and I had no explanation for why they had passed, water is fine, temp is right, fed the correct amount. That's when I noticed her fins. Her tail fin is clearly nipped. It has two solid bites in it with some tearing on the top. I've never seen or heard cardinals killing other fish. I had noticed mine have seemed slightly aggressive, which I originally thought was some small male sparring, but it's pretty persistent. I'm worried about my last guppy but don't know what I should do. I'm also very wary of jumping to the conclusion that the tetras did this since they are normally so peaceful in community tanks. If anyone has any thoughts anything would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Banned
35 Planted Aquariums
37 Posts
Idk im not there but definitely Sounds like your cardinals were interested in breeding as most fish - especially tetras will breed in species only aquariums and the guppies got caught in the crossfire. Every line of fish is capable of behaving "out of character" and if your guppies fins are nipped its definitely a tell tale sign- not to mention its possible for the tetras to even chase the guppies right out of the water and onto the floor- especially at night time. On my website I always recommend to not keep tetras with guppies simply because the color and the mating rituals create the possibility of sparking animosity for whatever reason. Ive seen female guppies watch their babies be eaten and it go the other way around. These types of mixes are much more possible in 75 gallons and up and should just be totally avoided in anything smaller than a 55 IMO. Only you can know for sure what really happened but I would definitely keep those tetras in a species only aquarium and start another one for the guppies.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idk im not there but definitely Sounds like your cardinals were interested in breeding as most fish - especially tetras will breed in species only aquariums and the guppies got caught in the crossfire. Every line of fish is capable of behaving "out of character" and if your guppies fins are nipped its definitely a tell tale sign- not to mention its possible for the tetras to even chase the guppies right out of the water and onto the floor- especially at night time. On my website I always recommend to not keep tetras with guppies simply because the color and the mating rituals create the possibility of sparking animosity for whatever reason. Ive seen female guppies watch their babies be eaten and it go the other way around. These types of mixes are much more possible in 75 gallons and up and should just be totally avoided in anything smaller than a 55 IMO. Only you can know for sure what really happened but I would definitely keep those tetras in a species only aquarium and start another one for the guppies.
Thank you much for the information! The other female is doing fine, no new damage to her fins. I’m also wondering if she fought the other two guppies as none of the tetras have any nips, but they just might be quicker.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Highly doubt cross-species aggression occurred to this degree-- and loss of fish that quickly as a result. More likely the fish were weak or ill when put in your tank and the loss of fins occurred after death from predation.
Did you quarantine fish before adding to tank? If not I would be much more concerned bout the guppies bringing in a pathogen than aggression from the cardinals causing death. That is improbable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Highly doubt cross-species aggression occurred to this degree-- and loss of fish that quickly as a result. More likely the fish were weak or ill when put in your tank and the loss of fins occurred after death from predation.
Did you quarantine fish before adding to tank? If not I would be much more concerned bout the guppies bringing in a pathogen than aggression from the cardinals causing death. That is improbable.
I did not :/ I am looking for a smaller tank to quarentine. This seems most likely. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts