1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Yes they will.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Depends on the size of the tank. Don't expect them to shoal in a 10 gallon tank, which gives them no room to swim around. Also if there are fish that would kind of heard them around, like discus.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
you definitely need a large tank.
fish school for protection... So you need a 'dangerous' looking fish in the tank as well.. and of course, this fish wouldn't actually do anything.. Like a discus, but they're super hard to take care of... maybe a ram or a rainbow, or angels.

·
Registered
888 Posts
you definitely need a large tank.
fish school for protection... So you need a 'dangerous' looking fish in the tank as well.. and of course, this fish wouldn't actually do anything.. Like a discus, but they're super hard to take care of... maybe a ram or a rainbow, or angels.
I have all those you mentioned and none of them would make neons and cardinals shoal.:flick: This is beyond my expectations.:wink:
bigstick120 said:
For me they arent great schoolers. On a scale of 10 I give them a 6.5 My rummy nose school very well
True. Honestly, rummies are the only tetras that shoal tightly of all the tetras I have kept.:wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, thanks, yeah my neons don't really school that well either. I have eight of them in a 50 gallon, with no larger fish. They only school during water changes, but its ok. They are still nice looking fish.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
In that case, YOU'RE the threat/danger. haha.
Mine do the same thing though. Plus, when I get close to the tank, they sometimes get startled and dart from one end of the tank to the other. Of course, they have a lot of swimming room right now (18 harlequin rasboras in a 90g).

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
For me they arent great schoolers. On a scale of 10 I give them a 6.5 My rummy nose school very well
my rummy nose don't school all that much either... when they feel safe and comfortable, they go on their own way... although I need more of them since a few died but they're so expensive where i live.. they're $5 each... and no group price.

·
Registered
234 Posts
fish a fish to school there has to be a danger present. its a deffensive thing. there school to look large.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
My rummynoses schooled pretty well when the only other fish in the 20g were ottos. But they seem to be rather delicate. My school of ~8 or so is now 3 and they cost around $4/ea here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts