The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
It really does seem like a lot, even though a 40B is a definitely large enough to house all of them. I prefer to keep the fish count low enough so that they can swim in schools if the situation calls for it. They can't do that when there's fish occupying all areas of the tank.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
What's the difference from cardinal and neon Tetra? They look exactly the same... My local pet store has the neon for $1 each and the cardinal tetras for a bit higher... What's the difference between the 2 and how do you tell them apart?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It really does seem like a lot, even though a 40B is a definitely large enough to house all of them. I prefer to keep the fish count low enough so that they can swim in schools if the situation calls for it. They can't do that when there's fish occupying all areas of the tank.
Thanks. I think I will only get 24 to give them a bit more room for schooling.

What's the difference from cardinal and neon Tetra? They look exactly the same... My local pet store has the neon for $1 each and the cardinal tetras for a bit higher... What's the difference between the 2 and how do you tell them apart?
Cardinal tetras have red that runs the full lenth of there body, and neon tetra the red only is on the back half of there body.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Cardinals don't really school. They are a shoaling fish, which means they will hang in close groups but they do not follow each other around like a schooling fish. I have had as many as 125 in a 125g tank and they were all over the place in groups. That being said, as many as you are talking in the confines of smaller tanks, the behavior could be slightly different.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Fish school (swim in the same direction) for protection from danger. If there's no danger, there's no need to school so they shoal, which is just swimming in groups.

Cardinals also grow to be much larger than any of the four known neon tetras.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts