The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought 12 cardinal tetras at my lfs. The next day i noticed one of them is missing, no corpse, nothing. I have my lights on a timer and i always feed them 10 minutes prior to the lights going off. After feeding them yesterday, i didn't walk away. I stood there and as soon as my lights went off my angel just goes and eat one of my cardinal tetras. I know angels can get aggressive so i thought he's just getting big and aggressive. So i moved my angel into my other tank. Tonight, same thing happened. Same scenario. Lights went off, but tonight, it's my rainbows. They ONLY get eaten when the lights are off. I just moved the rest of them into my shrimp tank. So can somebody tell me what the hell is going on? I have a 90 gallon and it is NOT over stocked. I have less than 20 fish in there. I feed twice a day (morning & night)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
weird.
possibly old, sick or dieing fish? maybe not enough places for the cardinal's to hide?
My water parameter is good. ammonia 0 ppm, nitrate/nitrite 0 ppm, pH 7. My tank is heavily planted. I have my lights on 8 hours a day and they're completely fine when it's on. It's just when the lights goes off...

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Believe it is common with Angelfish ,other larger cichlid's to eat smaller fish, rather than the exception.
Consider that the fish is a cichlid that can grow to the size of a man's palm with fingers outstretched,and smaller fish would sooner or later become snack's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My angelfish, eat anything they can fit in their mouths. "And thats why we cant have nice things" haha I remember buying a school of neon tetras with my angels, dumped them in, and watched a very expensive meal happen.
What about the rainbows though..

·
Registered
191 Posts
What about the rainbows though..

Depends on the size, If you witnessed your angelfish eat a rainbow, then the angelfish are large enough, and rainbows are small enough for consumption.

I housed both those species together just fine, but the rainbows were large.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends on the size, If you witnessed your angelfish eat a rainbow, then the angelfish are large enough, and rainbows are small enough for consumption.

I housed both those species together just fine, but the rainbows were large.
i meant my rainbows ate my cardinals..

·
Registered
155 Posts
What it comes down to is that, with few exceptions, most fish will eat other fish if the size difference allows it. It has nothing to do with peacefulness or aggression, per se. It's just what fish do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts