The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Plant Lover
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any success treating this? One of my cardinal tetras keeps sinking, has to continuously swim to keep somewhat buoyant. It is the oldest of the bunch, not sure how old, because he/she's much bigger than the others, maybe 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inches long (clearly the last survivor of an older group than the others in the tank).

I tried the fast for three days then feed skinned, thawed frozen peas treatment, but this fish ignored the peas which immediately sank to the bottom (put some in a floating feeding ring, to no avail). Fish has had this for almost a week. Parameters are all perfect, long established tank with perfect water quality, etc. Maybe just age for this guy.

Would consider moving to the quarantine tank, but that is occupied by 11 cardinals (been in there for something like 8 weeks), waiting to move into the display tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a cardinal with a swim problem - anytime it tries to move much it does violent twisting somersaults. It can't stay upright at all. I see it still actually catching and eating food in spite of it, and it has been doing this going on 2 months. Other than catching it and killing it, there's not much to do.

·
Plant Lover
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to euthanize the fish, as it was simply continuing to decline. I have a feeling it was the last survivor from a group that may have been added to the tank years ago, as it was so large. Now there is a new group of very healthy (knock wood) Cardinals in the tank after something like a six week quarantine. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to euthanize the fish, as it was simply continuing to decline. I have a feeling it was the last survivor from a group that may have been added to the tank years ago, as it was so large. Now there is a new group of very healthy (knock wood) Cardinals in the tank after something like a six week quarantine. Thanks for the responses.
I'm sorry to hear that. It's never an easy decision. SiP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts