The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Plant Lover
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'd posted at one point wondering whether this was lymphocystis. One other Cardinal Tetra had similar symptoms and seems to have vanished in the dense plant growth. None of the other tetras are afflicted. All these guys have been in the tank for a long time, and all were quarantined without any kind of symptoms for a long time before introduction, though the various tetras in the tank have been introduced at different times over the past several years: about 11 Rummy Nose Tetras, and a group of about 12 Cardinal Tetras which is down to 9. I should add that at least one cory has symptoms of its own affliction (a tumor?). I have a separate thread I posted about this the last night.

Anyway, I was able to get some pictures (though my phone tends to focus on the plants, so the fish is a bit out of focus). You can see 3 spots where the fish is affected, on the side (which now appears in a worm like ring), on the right eye, and one pectoral fin slightly.

Any idea what this is? Neon tetra disease? Something else? I will likely isolate the fish very soon. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dermocystidium. It's a rare fungul/metazoan disease. The cyst will rupture releasing thousands of parasites into the water. It doesn't necessarily kill the fish but the sores can get infected. That may be what's on your cory too. The only way to control it is to isolate infected fish until they recover so they don't release more parasites into the aquarium.

·
Plant Lover
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you both. I will isolate, and try to treat the fish. Wonder where this came from. Maybe I can isolate that Cory too, though It appears pretty different. I'll research Dermocystidium.

And now have done so. Yes, that appears to be it. Clearly there were other tetras with this prior in my tank, and it is possible that there are spores already in the water column. No treatment is effective, but isolation of this fish is critical, as you noted, and that cory too, if I can catch itl. Since no treatment is effective, euthanizing may be the most humane thing.

Also a UVS system, well sized, will be installed this week on this tank. Will generate 75,000 75,000 µW/cm2 with the flow rate I'll be using through it.

Done. I was able quickly to net both fish. The cory happened to be out by the front glass again, something that has been more common in recent days, and something I take as a sign that its condition was getting more severe. I was able quickly to net both fish. My wife reminded me that I have had that cory (along with the other cories) for over four years. I am not sure whether I saw a small lesion on another sterbai, but I will monitor closely. There are 8 cardinals still in the tank, and 10 more in quarantine now (i.e. purchased a week ago). I quarantine any new arrivals before introduction. The cardinals in the display tank have been in there for anywhere from 8 months to several years or more. That UVS will not be arriving a day too soon; there was at least one other small cardinal with the same condition that disappeared into the heavy growth a couple of weeks ago. Alas, nothing I can do about that now.

Anyone who wants to geek out on reading about this disease with specificity to Cardinal tetras can read this article: (PDF) Cutaneous infection with Dermocystidium salmonis in cardinal tetra, Paracheirodon axelrodi (Schultz, 1956)

There is no mention of treatment I could find, but it is a detailed description of the disease, which appeared increasingly common in Cardinal tetras since 2013. The appearance conforms to what I observed. Thank you, eethomp, for your insight. I am hopeful that the UVS will be somewhat effective --in the research I have done, it appears to be so in related pathogens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.