The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some cardinal tetras yesterday. I did a 2+ hour acclimatization and all seemed fine. The fish looked good and all were eating by evening time. This morning, 1 was dead and 2 had what I think is some sort of disease (discoloration below their dorsal fin). Took the dead fish out of the tank. I isolated the 2 with the disease by putting them into a small plastic container with a couple floating plants.

Water parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5 ppm
PH 6.8
GH 160 ppm
KH 34 ppm
Iron .25 mg
Temp 76f
DIY CO2

Can someone ID this disease and provide possible cure? Worried the other fish in my tank might be infected by these fish since they were exposed most of the day yesterday through to this morning. Btw, I did not put any of the water from the lfs into the tank during transfer other than what little was in the small net to catch the fish with.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Looks like bacteria infection. I'm guessing you don't have a quarantine tank or tub. Seachem ParaGuard has worked well for me in planted tanks. It even gave my stem plants a growth boost.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That looks like neon tetra disease that I have dealt with in the past with cardinals. There is no known cure and it can be devastating to the entire tank. I would definitely not put those in with the ones that still look healthy. This disease is a major problem with cardinal tetras and the reason so many experience complete losses when they buy neons or cardinals.

Edit: Here is some more info from a previous thread I posted in.

Plistophora hyphessobryconis is the name of the sporozoan parasite that appears as spores in the mucle tissue of the fish. The spores become visible as whitish patches and cause a loss of skin color. It is most common in the neon tetra where it causes a loss of the blue body color, but can appear in tetras, barbs, rasboras, and angelfish. Once the parasite appears it can run through the whole tank and infect the rest of your fish. There is no known treatment so it is best to remove the infected fish and euthanize. I have seen several large groups of tetras get infected and it can wipe out the whole group.

·
Banned
3,200 Posts
that's why you don't buy fish from petco or petsmart, sometime i think they sell sick fish just to sell their other stuff, such as diseases medicine, ick etc.

am guessing that you bought them from either one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Scipio - No quarantine tank. I do have a couple of tanks sitting around but I do not have the space to set one up. I am guessing if this goes bad for me, I BETTER make some space and set one up for the future.

@ua hua - I am starting to think it is NTD. From what I have read on it, some posts say Cardinal Tetras can't get it and others say they can. Either case, there is no cure. I just hope it stops with these 3 and no further losses. I will keep a close eye on ALL the fish for the next few days.

@happi - I usually by my fish form a mom & pops lfs. But to answer your question; yes, they were purchased from one of the larger pet stores. It was a very good price for each but not so good after a day passed. May even get worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts