The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(45 gallon, low CO2, 80-82F, 1 large angel, 15 cardinals, 2 Corries, 6 ottos. Haven't tested water in months because it's always low thanks to the mass of plants.)

I was preforming my weekly water change today and noticed that a few of my cardinal tetras had some deformities. A few of them are fairly chubby with crooked spines and one seems to have a growth under the skin. Their coloration seems fine but one of them looks like it's slime coat is coming off? I've kept cardinal tetras for years and have only ever gotten "chubby" ones (that I'm sure are just females) occasionally. This group was purchased through aquatic arts and I've purchased fish from them for over 5 years and have had no real issues. These are supposedly tank bred. I've never experienced so many deformed fish so Im curious what people think the cause is. My plan is to fast them for a couple of days and see if maybe they are just "clogged" up and do some more small water changes throughout the week. None of the other inhabitants seem to be showing any signs of illness.

I tried to take a couple pics. Things are a little stirred up but you can still clearly see what I'm talking about. Any advice or ideas is much appreciated.
Plant Botany Nature Natural environment Natural material

Plant Petal Botany Terrestrial plant Grass

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert in fish diseases but it looks like fish tuberculosis to me. They get bloated and their spine curves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts