The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40 gallon tank (4 feet long x 15" wide x 15" high) that I will be stocking at the end of the month. The tank is covered in HC at the foreground and side, UG spread nicely through the rocks, and I will eventually add vivipara along the rear pane. The rocks are a blue color, smooth and deeply grooved from river water over many years.

I am looking for a vote between two species to call this home... Rummy Nose Tetras and Cardinal Tetras.

I realize the Rummy is an intense schooling fish whilst the Cardinal is more stagnant beauty. What would you opt for if this was yours? I will do no combination... one species only, maybe 40 or so.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I think you should opt for the rummynose. Why? For the simple reason that your tank is long, and the rummynose will make the most use of this space. Cardinals, while beautiful, just kind of float around in a "schooling-type" formation.

Seeing a dozen or so rummynose schooling back and forth in a 4ft tank would be rather impressive, IMO. And personally, I find the brilliant red of the rummynose to be more striking than the cardinals.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right, I worded that poorly. I meant exactly what you said; the Rummies will move in unison whereas the Cardinal will hover in a school and stick to a general location.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Agree with ther Rummynose. I have both in my 84g. The Rummynoses have personality. Cardinals are nice. They swim around a bit, but more in a loose shoal.

The Rummies however are great. They school almost all the time. Sometimes the 6 split into smaller groups and school around. Occasionally they join other fish, like the Chain Loaches.

They tend to swim fast and stay close to the bottom. That is, close to whatever is below them - substrate, plants, driftwood. Fly swim around the tank like a squadron of stealth fighters skimming over ground, trees, mountains. They are constantly active. Not necessarily swimming at a frantic pace like danios, but almost always moving.

I've grown to like their coloring a lot too. It is more ubtle than cardinals and others at first, but it grows on you. Their color and the way they swim remind me of a squadron of red-nosed P-51s with D-Day stripes, flying low over the coutryside.

Hate to overdue the metaphor, but its true. You'll see.

So big thumbs up to Rummynoses over Cardinals. More entertainment for sure.

AB

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have both species, so +1 on the rummy nose.

They school all the time one side to the other and that's the reason I'm getting another 20 or so.

BTW, for me cardinals are too delicate. Started with 12 cardinals and now I'm down to only 3 while the rummys are still actively swimming and I haven't lost any of the discus also.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I vote for the rummy noses too. I can watch them schooling and zipping around the tank for hours.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
IMO Cardinals are overused. Don't get me wrong, they're a beautiful fish, but everyone's kept Cardinals at least once. I have 7 Rummies in one of my tanks and I love them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
rummies all the way....can't beat that schooling action...
4' long tank + 15-20 rummies= SEXY
i looked at my set up like that so much my wife got jealous! j/k, no i'm not, no, no j/k...uh, nevermind :icon_redf

plus, if the red noses start to fade that means your params are off...so +1 for rummies as an "indicator" fish

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rummies it is! Thanks for all the votes. I will update with a tank journal is a little while. The UG needs 1 more week to root itself before I risk taking the plunge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts