The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has any recommendation of carbon supplementation for a low tech planted tank?
I heard excel melts plants like crpyts. So i need something that wont melt any plants.
Anyone tried this?

Or something from API, CO2 booster?
Or carbon tablets?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I use api co2 booster with crypts and vals just ween them on to it. I started around half dose and worked my way up over a couple weeks and they all seem fine. I would still wait to see if anyone else has a better solution though because I'm still somewhat new to all of this myself.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
When I first started excel(5ml daily) on my "main" tank it melted my crypts and three Bolbitis heudloti(the Bolbitis still hasn't recovered fully). The crypts however came back twice the size now and have a better all around appearance. After that I scaled it back slowly to now 1ml doses daily and the Bolbitis is making a S-L-O-W comeback.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I don't think excel melts crypts directly but I think its just normal crypt melt from a change in water chemistry. Reason I believe that is I keep many crypts in two excel dosed tanks. One over a year and the other several months. Both grow great. Went away for a 10 days with no excel dosing and 2/3's of my crypts melted. They are coming back again and I continue dosing. 8 ml a day in 20longs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So which co2 supplementation do you recommend? Excel? Has anyone tried the co2 booster from api? Same effect?
I used the recommended dose for excel on a 75g and i noticed some melting in my crypts.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It's the same product from what I understand. Like jrill and I said, the crypts will experience melt or, DID melt due to the change in environments. One thing that I don't see a lot of people talk about regarding Glut products( these two products aren't actually CO2, they are an ALTERNATIVE CARBON SOURCE) is that plants use more energy to metabolize this. Therefore, your system ie plants, will need more ferts both macro AND micro to synthesize either Excel or, CO2 Boost.

·
Children Boogie
16,742 Posts
Yeah i plan to get eco complete. A 20 pound bag for my 75gal but i was wondering if i should dose co2 like excel
You'll need more than 20 lbs in a 75g. Excel doesn't provide co2. It provides carbon that plants can partially use. I only use excel to kill pesky bba. The chemical is used to sterilize medical equipment. Yes, it will melt certain plants. I've never seen it melt crypts though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Anyone has any recommendation of carbon supplementation for a low tech planted tank?
I heard excel melts plants like crpyts. So i need something that wont melt any plants.
Anyone tried this? Amazon.com : Brightwell Aquatics Florinaxis Carbon & Krebs 500mL / 17oz : Petsuppliesmisc : Pet Supplies

Or something from API, CO2 booster?
Or carbon tablets?
For a low tech tank I suggest the Diana Walstad method for low tech tanks. She is well known in the aquatic planted tank world. Search her out.
her FB page https://www.facebook.com/AuthorDianaWalstad
Her book https://www.facebook.com/AuthorDianaWalstad/app_203351739677351

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.