The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might have just wasted another $35 buying carbon, thinking it will clear water for my planted aquarium ..

Problem #1: The water is extremely yellow- more like copper-colored. New aquarium, set up a week ago. The substrate I used is a a layer of peat moss with aquarium sand over it. I don't know if this color is from the dissolving peat .. some peat has surfaced and is sitting on the top layer of sand. How do I remove the colored water?

Problem #2: I thought carbon would remove the color, so bought it for $35 and stuck the bag in the filter. So far, it hasn't removed any color. (2 days) And I already have plants in there.. and just now heard that carbon is bad for planted tank. Is this true? I plan on moderate-high light plants that need nutrients, like dwarf hairgrass and baby tears. What do I do? If I take it out, where/how do I save it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Carbon in the filter will do no harm, but it will also do little good for your problem. I think your best course would be to teardown the tank and rebuild it without the thick layer of peat in the substrate. Use MTS if you want a cheap way of getting a nutrient rich substrate, or use a commercial substrate. Right now, as fast as the carbon can remove the color from the water more is leaching from the peat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, so peat in the substrate will make colored water 100% of the time, so solution? :x Dang ...
Any other options?
The tank isn't the easiest thing to tear down, it's 55 gallons.

·
Registered
256 Posts
caykuu, peat will def. tea color your water. Same as driftwood, but I presoak my driftwood to remove most of the tannin. Have you considered using Seachem Purigen?

I have used Purigen to clear discoloration from my water before (caused by driftwood). I have never used to it clear discoloration from peat because I have never used peat.

Supposedly Purigen does not remove trace elements that are beneficial to your plants- like Carbon does.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check up on that-- now deciding between switching do a different substrate altogether, or using Purigen.

Assuming I tear down the tank and switch to Eco-Complete... does eco-complete make the water yellow/color it? :\

I'm also planning on a densely planted tank. Will that eventually have any effect on the yellow water --> make it clear?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm still sorta new to this, but I'm pretty sure peat will always color the water, even if you have it heavily planted. If you wanted you could do a blackwater biotope :) I also think peat substrate can be pretty messy too.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts