The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Eheim canister I've used for years. The thing is a diehard workhorse.
My tanks have been primarily South American or African cichlid with no live plants. I've never used carbon in my Eheim.

Now that I'm setting up a community aquarium with plants is there any reason to use a carbon insert in my Eheim on a regular basis or only after I've had to medicate?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
A lot of people debate carbon, I run it on my 10 gallon planted/hospital tank but do not run it on my 75 gallon planted display tank, I don't have a reason why I use it in one and not the other I just have done it like that for a while. I think its all what you feel like doing honestly, if you want to use carbon then do, it will not have any negative effects, if you don't want to use it then you don't need to use it really. I notice a slight bit of more clarity on on 10 gallon tank, and I also notice there is no film on top of the water after I put my hands in there like there is in my 75 gallon.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I haven't used carbon in my filters since I started keeping live plants. But the instructions that came with my Eheim 2217 said to keep the carbon pad in for 2 weeks and then remove it, so that's what I did. After two weeks I replaced it with an extra fine white filter pad.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Think the reason most people don't use carbon in planted tanks is because it will remove elements that you want and may have placed into ur system.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Think the reason most people don't use carbon in planted tanks is because it will remove elements that you want and may have placed into ur system.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Can't confirm nor deny but I've read the same thing in several places - this topic is debated a lot. I removed my carbon filter to be on the safe side. I doubt it would be a huge issue for less demanding low light plants, but could be a bigger issue on high nutrient/light dependent plants.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It's just not really needed in general unless you have a specific reason for it. There's a load of reason's, but to keep it short, your fine without it til you need it specifically.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you are going to replace about every two weeks and it is what you want go for it. Otherwise, dont. It is not effective long enough to run in your tank 24/7 and IMO impractical to replace as often as it truly needs to be. Whether it removes nutrients or not has been debated many times.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts