The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need carbon for my 53g light planted tank and also got a bit algae on the driftwood so should I put some phosguard along with the carbon in the filter? I did having the red and blue light on for 50% (white is 100%)from my ecoxotic e series led so I am wodering is this cause the algae problem? Light on for 9.5 hours.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hi Cookie,in 40 yrs. in the hobby I have used carbon maybe twice to remove medication and not at all for 20 yrs.it is not needed and clogs up very quickly.Phosguard is not normally used in planted tanks as it removes phosphates that are of major importance to plant health.Better to cut back the light period and if necessary spot treat with H202[peroxide]using a spray bottle or syringe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The maxium power of the light is 32W. So should I turn down to 8 hours only and also turn off the blue and red led? What is H202 by the way? I noticed that there is something that looks like a filter floss that trap on the driftwoods and my java moss. Is that BB algae? I also have a little bit of brown algae on the driftwood that trap bubbles.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
H202 is hydrogen peroxide the same you use for injuries and is deadly to most algae and if you don't overdose does no harm to fish or plants,many threads on here about proper use but basically you dose directly on the algae with filters off for about a 1/2 hour.Use a spray bottle or syringe and store in a dark place.Hard to say about your light because we don't know your plant setup any pics or description would be helpful.I have two heavily planted tanks and run my lights at full for eight hours a day.Do you dose co2 or excel??

·
Registered
87 Posts
No i dont have any co2 and i never use excel

Picture of the floss like stuff on driftwood. These floss like stuff trap detritus also.

Bump: Picture of the floss like stuff on driftwood.

Bump: Picture of the brown algae on anubias leaves and also on one of the java fern that located on the upper level in the tank

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Can't tell from the pic if it is diatoms but that is what first came to mind. Pretty typical for a newer tank. Is it less than 6 months old? If so it may correct itself without doing anything.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yaaaa it is only a month old. But the brown algae on the anubias and java fern leaves they will gone by itself also? I thinking to get few SAE to clean it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts