The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of these CO2 systems or used them before, because a friend of mine has sparked an interest seeing as i could obtain one for fifty dollars, and it seems like a better investment than spending 300 on a good pressurized system that would take a lot more work

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
After replacing the block, the electrodes, and all the other stuff that "wears out", you'll end up spending almost the same as you would for a pressurized system and it's nowhere near as good as a pressurized system.

Tommy

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would like to see the receipt from anyone who was able to buy a regulator, needle valve, diffuser, check valve, tubing, CO2 presurized cylinder, and fill this cylider with CO2 for $150. I dont think that is possible unless you go with Wal-mart parts and they are going to stop working in a year. A good qualitey pressurized CO2 system wont run any less than $225 and thats pushing it IMO.

James

·
Registered
32 Posts
Red

I bought one of these and it fell under the category of "Worst purchase I have made for my tank"

I had it on my 75 gallon tank and it was worthless for that size tank. Now on a smaller it might work but the replacement carbon blocks were like $50. And the holder really starts to look like hell before the block is done. The best thing about it in my opinion were the suction cups I took off of it after I took it out of my tank.

Lou

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
5# co2 tank $50
co2 fill $12
all in one reg $65
co2 resistant tubing from lowes 8 cents/foot $1

$128 Thats the minimum if you bubble it into a powerhead/ canister filter.

If you have to buy a powerhead, add $20

If you do as I did and put a rena micro bubbler in the powerhead's pre-filter add $4 for the micro bubbler.

If you paying s&h to a few places add $25

$177 still good for cheap setup that work fine.

If you feel the need to use precision quality parts than yeah, probably $250.

The nice thing about pressurized is the only cost after setup basically is just co2 fill, which is usually pretty cheap, especially with larger tanks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I've set up all my systems for that price range.

$112 shipped for manual regulator.
$50 for cylinder

$162

$137 shipped for controlled regulator
$50 cylinder

$187

All US prices of course. You will pay more in Canada.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Do you think a paintball Co2 canister would work for a fish tank application, and if so how long do you think a 20 oz canister would last me between refills
Yes it would work, but you'll save money if you go for a regular-sized setup.

If you're adamant about a paintball setup, Google for Red Sea Paintball CO2 for a Red Sea system or contact Rex Grigg for a nano setup. I'm not sure if he's carrying/providing it anymore though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.